Do People Think You Have Money...when you don't?

DH as a good job and I stay home with our daughter. We have the normal bills everyone else has. Our house is average and our newest car is a 2004 Saturn. We rarely go out and we dress very casual usually in just a t-shirt and jeans. Somehow everyone thinks we have money to spare.

I was going to buy an advanced showing movie ticket and a friend who also wants to go texted me with "you can buy my ticket." Gee...thanks. Another friend wanted a special DVD McDonald's is selling and she asked me to buy it for her (she lives outside the area). I did and told her she owes me $10 for it and the shipping and she said she would "pay me when she got the money." Wonderful...

And these were just within the past week!! I told them both I needed reimbursed ASAP because we are low on cash, but I don't think it'll end. How can I tell them to stop without sounding like a b*tch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Just say, I don't really have the money right now. If you can get me the money first, I would be happy to pick that up for you. Would it have been a big deal to get your friend's ticket if she had sent you with the cash to do so? I am sure not. You wouldn't have minded doing the favor, it was just the assumption that you were going to cover it. Simply say that you can't spare the money right now.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I tell ppl that when they send me the money I'll get what they want. As for the ticket, I'd say I'll swing by and pick up the money and get both tickets at the same time. If anyone tells me they will pay me when they get the money I tell them I'm sorry but I can't afford to pay their way. If they get angry then they will get over it ....or not. It's not my problem but it's not my job to pay for others.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Just don't do it, tell them your low on cash, and you can't spare, If they will actually reimburse your that means they will have the money in the near future right, so why don't they wait till them and do it or buy it themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Even if you have the money, and I'm not saying you do, how presumptuous of other people. The money your family has is for your family. You work hard for it, budget carefully, and have the right to spend it or save it as you please. How rude to ask ANYONE to purchase things for you. I would never do this, and if I caught one of my kids doing it, they'd be in big trouble.

I wouldn't apologize, or explain. The next time someone did this to me I'd just say. Sure, drop the money by my house before Thursday (or whenever) that's when I'm ordering the tickets, or sure I'll pick that up for you, send me the money by Monday, that's the next time I'll be stopping at McDonald's. You don't need to tell anyone whether you can or can't afford something. You shouldn't have to explain your finances at all!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I am so feeling this question! When we had our little girl 2 years ago, my husbands friends would just come over and eat everything and anything they wanted from our fridge, drink allof our bottled water, wash their clothes at our house, etc! Sounds like he has a bunch of high school friends huh? We are all in our early 30's!! UGH! We were living paycheck to paycheck & scraping up money for bills/formula. I finally convinced him that we needed to move out of state, for alot of reasons, not just his friends, but now we have other issues where folks mistakenly think we have money. We bought a used 2003 BMW (a car that's almost 7 years old!) & I pulled into a pay parking lot where the guy tried to charge me 15.00! I flat out told the guy that I only had 20.00 for me and my daughter to go to the fair so I couldn't pay that (this was the truth! It was bring a coke and get in for 4.00 day). He looked at the car & said, "Yeah right!"
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• cont... I told him I was being truthful and that I would have to park somewhere else. He let me park for 5.00. Its just unfair that someone would try to upcharge someone else b/c of the car they drive.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2009