Not sure what to do about health insurance...

My husband lives in UT attending school. I live in ID and am pregnant with my first baby. I currently get insurance through my employer but once the baby is born I will be moving to UT and will lose the insurance. COBRA is so expensive and and we won't be able to afford and expensive individual plan. The universities plan is ridiculous and I wanted to keep the deductibles within means. We have a fairly decent sized savings but I wanted to keep that for emergencies and having as much in the bank will keep us from getting help from like Medicaid. Do any of you mommies out there have any advice to find affordable health ins for me and the baby in the UT area?

kcox07

Asked by kcox07 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Obama has altered the COBRA plan just a bit since so many are loosing theri jobs. You only have to pay like 30% of the COBRA premium to be on COBRA. But if you choose to do that, you have to keep it for so many months. My husband recently lost his job and I chose NOT to take the COBRA and find something cheaper.....Let me tell you now I SCREWED UP!!!! I would go with COBRA just because you are pregnant and then with all the drs visits you will have between you and the nb once he/she is here. You will save yourself SOOOOOO much money!
    aussiesma

Answer by aussiesma at 2:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i would go with the cobra or try to get medicaid good luck
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 2:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• That Obama paln only goes to the end of the 2009 I do HR so I know the whole deal.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• We do not, and will not every carry insurance. It's a waist of money. Here's what we do. We started an HSA, which allows you to bank money tax free for medical use. We also carry a medical discount program through Ameriplan. I never pay full price out of pocket for anything. The medical/dental plan is only $40 a month. SO, we bank $160 each month and when we do need a doctor all of the payments come from there. This plan allows us to never have an out of pocket cost. Let me know if you want more details. www.LowCostBenefitsPlans.com

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009