How do I create a resume?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Gather your work history, educational history, & any professional organizations you may belong to that relate to the job you're looking for. Make a list of skills that you have that are important to the position you're applying for. Look at sample resumes online or get a book from the library for a good idea of format. You only have a few lines to catch a prospective employers interest. I recommend using a format that follows the following sequence:
    1. Name, address & contact information at the top
    2. Your job search objective...be specific not general or vague
    3. A list of your qualifications and skills that you want to highlight
    4. Work history, most recent job 1st, & go backword for 10 years
    5. Education, most recent 1st, don't forget seminars & workshops (job related)
    A lot of people want to do things like colored or scented papers, elaborate fonts, etc. colored ink. Most employers don't like this. Limit to 1 page.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Continued:
    Always write a cover letter. In your cover letter you want to tell them why you are the right candidate for the job, confident, not cocky, why you want to work for their company, and any special things you've accomplished that might pertain to the job. Again, limit your cover letter to 1 page.

The only time you should have more than a 1 page resume and cover letter, is if you are going for a high level executive position, then I would hire a professional resume writer anyway.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• ohwrite gave great advice!! good luck!
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 2:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The resume is going to be emailed if that makes a difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Doesn't matter if you e-mail or snail mail. Make it simple. Use your word processor and send as an attachment. I would e-mail it to yourself or a friend first to make sure that the format doesn't get messed up when e-mail, as I have had some issues with that.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I do career and job search coaching. . I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep. Feel free to contact me directly. –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Sep. 23, 2009