Can your 4 1/2 year old print his/her letters??

My son is 4 1/2 and has little to NO INTEREST in learning how to print his letters. I should point out that he does do the letters A, H, L and T but that's it!! It's like pulling teeth to get him to print them.

In preschool they are working on the letters right now and they asked me to work on the letter Bb with him (they just started with A last week and now they are at B) and when we try to trace then print them he totally ignores me and changes the subject!

I am probably putting too much pressure on myself to teach him this but it really upsets me when children younger then him can print their own name!

BurgMom43

Asked by BurgMom43 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4 year old can write all but two or three letters when you call them out to her. My 3 year old however has NO interest in learning to even say his ABC's. My daughter knew that at 2. I think each kid is different and you have to find a way that they find fun. Like try having him finger paint and write letters, or smear shaving cream on a baking pan and let him write with his finger in the shaving cream, or use those bath crayons and do it in the tub. I did all of those things with my daughter and she learned very quickly bc we were not at the table with paper and a pencil-she thought that was boring.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Awesome ideas!!! Thank you!
    BurgMom43

Answer by BurgMom43 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Agree with the first answer entirely. Some kids are much more tactile learners than visual learners. Try working with different kinds of materials and textures.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I understand how you feel. we want our children to be the best in everything and sometimes we do push them a little too much. but that little push is well needed they will thank us when they get older. I have a 4 year old who just started preschool . and I was so scared that she didn't know enough going in to pre-k because she stayed home with me but I tried to teach her as much as I could. She don't write her name either but she will trace anything. what I found out was we have to make it fun for them and take break so they will love to do it, don't overwelm them. challenge them making it as if their the teacher and your the student my daughter loves that it even gets her to give me the correct answer when I act as if I'm clueless....
    MomNdemand

Answer by MomNdemand at 5:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• my daughter did not want to until she could connect the letters with the sounds they make. before that she didn't understand the connection between reading and writing letters. i highly reccomend starfall.com, it has helped her immensely. she can find & write any letter of the alphabet, write her name, read and write some 2- 3 letter words. she has workbooks that she loves to do, they have lessons on writing letters & numbers as well as little puzzles & games involving them. i do 1-on-1 work with her, it has benefitted her far more than preschool ever did. she will be 5 in january.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• my daughter is 2 and can spell and write her name thats why the doctors tell me shes above her age level.....and what i always did was i kept repeating it over and over to her everyday and when she was coloring i would write it out everytime and finally she did it herself from seeing me spell it and write it over and over again
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 5:21 AM on Sep. 23, 2009