Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non court child support agreement

I am just looking for opinions or educated guesses as to what would be a fair child support payment agreement from my son's father. He currently does not come around to see my son except on a rare occasion for an hour, usually its 2 months between a visit. He says he has no problem giving me money, although we usually end up arguing about the amount. He makes a little over 3,000 a month. I myself would love to work, but I have noone to watch my 5 and a half month old during the day and have school most nights which is hard enough to get sitters for. I'm trying to figure out a way to work, and I know it will get easier when my son is older. Hopefully with a degree I can get a job where I can afford child care but right now I cannot. How much do you think my baby's father should pay? (I have several reasons I am not going to take him to court) I welcome your opinions, thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • If his arguing about the amount he has a problem with paying it.
    If you get any government assists, they have program that will pay for daycare while your in school, otherwise find a daycare that fits your schedule and have him pay for it.

    Answer by Ministerswife at 2:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • you can look up child support calculators online that will give you a good idea of what a fair amount is for your state/situation. Also, as the above pp noted the government provides subsidized daycare.

    Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • Okay that was not the question ministerswife. lol.

    Answer by soveryconfused at 3:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • In my state it is 20% of their income. He also should be contriubitin to half of all medical bills. Anything he gives is better than nothing, but at a min. he should be giving $400/month and paying half of medical ins and copays. This is just my opinion but I think it is fair if he wont agree on a %,

    Answer by ria7 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • I'd be careful about not getting court ordered support. I had an agreement with my ex about child support. Originally he paid it, but once he had a girlfriend he started paying erratically, and eventually changing the amounts, and sometimes not paying at all. Eventually I had to go to court, which took nearly a year, and made it very difficult to pay for childcare in the meantime.

    You said you have a number of reasons for not going to court. But without the court you have no protection. Good luck.

    Answer by ohwrite at 3:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • Im just gonna give you what I would think is a good amount instead of a lecture...about 30percent of his income.

    Answer by soveryconfused at 3:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.