Do you think it is appropriate to let a 12 year old daughter on myspace and twitter?

My dh allows his daughter to go on myspace and twitter. He does not monitor her and thinks it is harmless. I caught her on it and told her to talk to her dad about it because it is something he should know about. So I went to DH told him and he was like I know about it her mom thinks its fine and I think so too. I just want to see what other parents out their think. First of all she's legally too young and secondly there are pictures of men on their in their 30's and 40's. Bio mom has no clue what the cite is even about and just becuase all her friends are doing it and it keeps her occupied she lets her do it. Am I just crazy or is this just the norm for 12 years olds anymore? What kind of message are you sending your child when you tell her its okay to lie about her age???

Sarahp1379

Asked by Sarahp1379 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I used to get on it when I was 12 and look what happend to me.. young and pregnant! (Just kidding, I am 21, but I do have a baby.) I think that it is fine if she is on it, but there are a LOT of things that you can do to protect her. First of all, she should NOT have ANY friends on there who are 30 year old men. If I saw that, right away she would be done. You can put password protected settings, where she cannot log on unless you log her on the computer, which means you will know when she is on and you can be monitoring it closely. Also, she needs to have her profile set completely to private so no one who isn't her friend can see it, and her profile picture probably shouldn't even be of her. She can also put on the page for location something crazy like "No where" etc. so people won't be able to see where she is from.
    Just a few ideas on how to help keep her safe because it sounds like her mom and dad are going to let her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I believe that it is ok, but only in moderation and it certainly needs to be monitored closely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Nope.
    Anonymous