WTH? "I'd rather let my (under age) kid drink at home with me, than out somewhere where they can get hurt"...what is up with some people??

Im the mother of a 17 year old, and I was having lunch with a girlfriend the other day, and she made the comment that she lets her 16 year old boy drink at home because "kids are gonna do it anyway, and I'd rather he do it at home than out at some party somewhere"...

i was floored, but said nothing....is this a common way of thinking? Am I being overly protective by not allowing this with my daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I believe what you are doing is right and I couln't agree more with you. Kids should not drink ANYWHERE that it could be stopped.Period!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Honestly, my parents "allowed" us to drink - two age 18 and one age 20 - at home, they even bought us beer, but it was under the condition that ANYONE who was drinking would STAY over night, and the other kids parents had to talk to mine so they knew it was ok. It worked for us, because none of us were ever drinking and driving or out getting in trouble.

Sorry for those of you who disagree, but it is totally true, kids will be kids, they will do stupid things, when mine is older I will probably do the exact same thing my parents did with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i was allowed to drink on special occasion...like New Years....more like they all acted like they didnt know I guess..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Yup, it's very common... in my family, and my DH's.
    My parents always let me have sips of wine or beer - ever since I was a little kid. They let me have a small glass of wine with my meals when I was older - 16 or so. It got to the point where... I honestly was never interested in drinking at parties. The taboo of "illegally" drinking kind of faded away from me.
    Same with my DH's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm torn b/c I have drank with adults (family) when I was younger, but I also did it with friends at other places, I used to drink and drive unless I stayed with friends or family. To me it's bad all around, I don't drink now and after I survived a car accident I changed for the better, kids shouldn't be allowed to drink until 21 they will sneak and do it but they need to be educated and responisble if they do do it, I'd want my daughter's to call me to come pick them up in any situation if they ever needed me, and to not be afraid to pick up the phone. But i'm not going to hand them a beer and say go for it either.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• my parents let me drink at home, not all the time but like a new years or my grad party they wanted to know where i was and like the other woman my friends had to have their parents talk to mine and make sure they were ok with it, and no one ever got drunk just had a couple beers and hung out. but kids will drink if they want to youre not gonna stop them, i agree id rather know what my daughter is doing and where shes doing it and who shes doing it with where i can keep an eye on her and her friends. thats just my opinion though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• when i was little my mom gave me wine. but only for especial ocassions like christmas, thansgiven or a wedding. i drank without my mom knowing. i ahd ways to get alchohol i dint need my mom to get it fro me IF A KID WNATS ALCOHOL THEY ARE GOING TO GET IT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Well my parents were pretty lenient about drinking. I have two brothers who are 20, I’m 21 and my sister is 23, and they didn’t ever have a problem with us drinking as long as we were staying home, after we were like 18. And I’m like the :17 Anon, where it actually made it less “exciting” so I didn’t have any reason to go out and drink. I think one of the things that made the situation easier with my parents was that if we were to go join the military we could drink. I know that sounds stupid, but it is true. We are all good kids, none of us have ever gotten in any big trouble, none of us have ever been drinking driving, so the way I see it, we are safe at home after we have a few, while there are other kids out there, drinking and hiding it from mom and dad, and they die in a car accident. (Or god forbid kill others..)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i would say that yes, it is a common way of thinking, just maybe not so much in america
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Not only is it common but it's actually legal...in MN anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009