2 year old Haircut, big tantrum

My baby will be 2 year old in 2 months. He had his first hair cut at 6 months, the next one at 9 months. He did fine with both. After these the next three were a nightmare, had to hold him and lots of screaming.
We cut his hair at home with an electric clipper and no.8 comb.
Do you have any advice how to make him not be afraid of the clipper? He really needs another haircut but we are dreading it.

cristinaberger

Asked by cristinaberger at 3:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can get alot of answers from www.mamasaurus.net

But I would recommend maybe tell him you will get him a toy or ice-cream afterwards :]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• We had a professional do it, called ahead, let them know the situation. They had a balloon tied to the chair, a lollypop for the actual event and went out of their way to make it fun for him. They also tickled him with the clippers and gave him plastic scissors to hold/ play with. Any time he got upset, she just "tickled" him along the arm with the clippers so show him they were not going to hurt him. It was well worth the money to have them do it, but you could do something similar at home if you wanted.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• haha.. we are going through this too! my husband took him for his last one and he did great and the 2 before that he was screaming as I was holding him and I finally told the lady it was good enough. He needs another one now and I am going to take him first thing when she opens Just in case.. ugh.. I think they are too little to reason with so I might ask her not to use the clippers and just cut it short with a sicssors
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Maybe he thinks it is going to hurt if his hair gets cut.
    My DD's use to think it would hurt if I cut their nails.

Answer by louise2 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My 2 yr old hates to have his hair cut too. Did pretty much what yours did. Was good for the first two (at 1 yr and again a few months later, he didn't have enough hair to cut before that.. lol) the next one was a nightmare. We abandoned the effort part of the way through (it was even enough).. The last time my husband took him and he was much better, at least until the clippers came out (she used sissors to that point). We found he did better if he wasn't looking the mirror to see what was happening. We also had special treats to eat during the haircut. Pick something you don't give him often to make it a big deal. Something you can dole out one at a time so that it doesn't get covered in hair works best (we used Gerber fruit chews which are mostly sugar so he doesn't get them often..) I've decided I like his hair long.. :) Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My 2 yo DS hates haircuts too. He isn't afraid of the clippers but he gets frustrated because he always turns his head to try and see them.
    The thing that makes him scream is the little hairs itching him. Even when I wrap a towel around hi, he squirms so much that it comes loose or he flips out about the ones on his face.

Right no w he looks like he cut his own hair because of how much he squirmed and screamed. Lol.

Maybe I'll try to cut it when he's sleeping. Ha ha ha! That's how I used to have to cut his nails.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately he is not interested in foods or other bribes and he is a very light sleeper. Maybe he really wants to have his hair but doesn't know how to tell us. Poor baby, I feel sorry for torturing him with this.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 5:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009