Why can't hairdressers get it right?

Everytime I get my haircut, I bring in a picture from a magazine or internet w/ the EXACT haircut i want. But every hair stylest I have been to never even gets CLOSE to the pic....pisses me OFF!!!! Does this happen alot w/ you?

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 3:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Most of the time I tell them I want a trim. Then they proceed to cut 2 inches off my hair. Or the other way around.

Answer by louise2 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Most likly you arnt' talking to the hairdresser enough, do you have the right hair type? What did the person in the picture have to do to style the haircut to make it look like the picture? Do you suit the haircut/have the same facial shape that the person in the picture does? All these things matter,and you should ask before hand, as well as the hairdresser should let you know if it's not going to work for you, before they go ahead and try it.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• She just wants your money. Thats why she is cutting it. Maybe your hair wont do that in the pic, but she doesnt care b/c she wants to get paid. It's still just a job to her.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• like minimo77 said..how's the consultation/communication going? a lot of the time, people only see the 'look' they desire in a picture, but they don't consider hair texture/face shape/tools/time/maintenance...and sometimes, the stylist doesn't 'teach' properly how to style the hair. its just as much your responsibility to ask questions and consider everything involved with a new cut/style as it is your hairstylist's. after all, even if the cut is done precisely like the picture, if you don't know how to style it, or don't mimic the stylist's actions, it won't look the same at all! we do hair all day, we're quicker, our technique is honed...you can't expect to get the same result if you don't do the same thing in the same way that we do..assuming the cut is correct; most of the time, it is, if not close to the desired look. COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY!! TECHNIQUE COMES SECOND! we're not miracle workers-well, some of us are.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Well if you were looking for ho.est answers...The reason we cant get your hair right is because you are either bringing in pictures of what you want but do not have the hair type or face shape for it and because you do not communitcate eactly what you are wanting. When you visit the stylist you need to have a good long talk about what your expectations and needs are. We can only do so much when you are either insistant upon one thing or unwilling to listen to the advice we give to you. Good luck!
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 7:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• google the best stylists in your town and read reviews of the top three salons. Also, if you see someone who has a great cut, ask her where she gets it done. You have to pay though to get the goods.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Because they can't be upfront and honest and say they can't do that hairstyle on you. They know whether or not they can. And some will do just anything to get the cash. You have to ask around and see who is known for doing a great job. And which ones will actually listen to your needs.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Answered at 7:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 by: thehairnazi

Yup....communication. I don't go in for anything but a trim. I like my natural style. My mom and MIL both go in for different cuts and the first thing they always ask is "Will this work for me?" and explain their time constraints and all that to their stylist. Neither one has ever had a bad hair cut.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Funny, I just got my hair cut for the first time earlier this month and I brought my stylist a picture of the hair cut and she gave me exactly what I wanted. I loved it so much a gave her a 20 dollar tip! She's damn good at her job and has been doing my hair for years now.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Oh yes, this has happened to me my last 3 haircuts! One woman knew she *ucked up and only charged me $5. I need a trim right now, but Im WAY too scared. Its pretty short right now and if i go get it trimmed it will prob end up shaved
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2009