Should my 5 year old know the difference between meal names by now?

He still confuses snack,lunch, breakfast and dinner. He almost never gets the meal's name right. He also still has trouble with the conception of today vs. tomorrow or the term 'later'. If you tel him later he will ask 'today later?' or if you say tomorrow he will say 'Today tomorrow?' If you tell him tomorrow he will ask again 'Today tomorrow?' Maybe it's normal... I dunno...Well, of course i don't know or I wouldn't have asked-duh! :0)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• A 5 year old should def. know the difference. My sister and brother in law when they were 5 [they are 6 now]. Could tell you what season it was, say all the months in spanish, and know the difference between the days and meal times.
    Maybe just work alittle harder with him. Or speak to his teach about it if he is in school.
    Good Luck

www.mamasaurus.net
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• the concept of time should not be of concern. All 5yr. olds can't be expected to know todday, tommorow and yesterday meanings completely yet. I just asked my 4yr. old when tommorow is and he said it was yesterday. he does know meal names and what time of day we eat them, but i don't think it is a big deal your 5yr. old doesn't. He will get the idea soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Can't help you, but my two year old knows that "yesterday" is anything that happened in the past... even if it was an hour ago.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• well i dont know but my 2 yr old knows what breakast lunch and dinner are.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• as for tomorrow my dd knows tomorrow means thenext day. like she will say can i play with my blocks(around bedtime) i say no tomorrow and she says k mommy tomorrow. and the next day she will asked me for her blocks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Just be clear when you have a meal, which meal it is. show him a calendar. This is today, right now. This is tomorrow, when we wake up in the morning. Then the next day repeat it.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would bring it up to my ped the next time I saw them. I'd also pay attention for other mannerisms that weren't quite up to pace. Maybe its just a fluke thing but the five year olds I work with are just fine with these concepts.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i dont think you should be too concerned with it. if kids were already supposed to know it all, then why do they teach that stuff in pre-k and kindergarten? like said just emphasize the meals. we wake up then eat breakfast. after an activity you do every day in the afternoon say after we do this we eat lunch. and same with dinner....after daddy comes home we eat dinner. it just takes repitition. same with days. like say remember when we went to bed last night? that was yesterday....so on and so forth. i think when kids have something to relate it to, it helps them remember.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• eatingThese concepts are hard for little ones to grasp. He' ll be fine. As long as he knows there will be food there he'll come eat no matter what you call the meal

Answer by admckenzie at 6:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My 4 yr old knows the meals, but time and relationships are harder. He calls everyone who looks much older grama. He has trouble with the concept that Aunt Jill is mommy's sister. He will get there. Don't worry.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2009