Are some groups of religions teaching hate against Catholics?

I read polls, journals, post in groups and questions and it seems there is a small group the just HATES Catholics. They have every answer as to why Catholics are wrong. They know every inch of my faith and can quote biblical scripture as to why this or that is the work of the devil.

I know a little about other faiths, but I am not sure I can tell you the deep meanings and doctrines of the religions. I took classes on other religions. I have learned more and more on CM, but I am no where near the expert to dispute or tell a group they are wrong?

Why do a lot of people know so much about the faith, yet they never practiced additionally they speak very little about their own. Is why Catholics are bad part of their religion? I was a member of Pentecostal Church for several years. It didn't work out for me and I went back to the Catholic Church but I don't feel the need to put down this religion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Whoever wishes to be save must, above all, keep the Catholic faith: for unless a person keeps this faith whole and entire he will undoubtedly be lost forever... This is the Catholic faith: everyone must believe it, firmly and steadfastly, otherwise he cannot be saved." (D. 39-40) Pope St. Leo the Great, (440-461)
    __
    During Vatican II this was explained more like what Eringobrough said. It isn't so much the actual church under the leadership of Rome but more like a universal faith. Protestant churches are a piece of the Catholic Church and are very much part of the Church.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• there are groups out there that are dedicated to go against every religion out ther..its sad to say they exist but they do :(

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I personnaly love learning about other religions but I could never hate someone because of it. My best friend is of the Pentecostal religion and our believes are quite different but I love her all the same.
    Ministerswife

Answer by Ministerswife at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i dont think its a specific religion or Protestant church, but certain ppl were raised that way. growing up a good friend of mine was dating a Catholic girl & brought her to church one Sunday. for whatever reason a guest preacher that day spoke on the evils of the Catholic church & why they are going to Hell. this upset his girlfriend (now wife) so badly that it took a year for her to come back to visit. i remember being so upset...how was that preacher helping anyone in any way?

i think the ppl who act this way toward members of any faith are just showing how insecure they are in their own faith. they have questions they cant answer so instead of figuring things out, they lash out at something they "know" is wrong. while i have my disagreements w/ the Catholic faith just as i do w/ many other faiths, i see no point in hating someone or treating them badly b/c of it. what does that prove?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• People fear what they do not understand. Most do not understand Catholicism. I'm a former Catholic so I understand where the church is coming from... doesn't mean I hate the church, I just disagree. Most of my family are still Catholic too so it can make for some very interesting holiday conversation.

I do believe there are some groups out there though that to preach hatred of Catholicism... I'd like to see how many of those who have actually been Catholic, probably not many.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Okmanders, I cannot recall in my 40years of a being a Catholic every hearing a priest talk against a religion. now, after 9-11 we heard about how hate infest some people and they disgrace the name of God. but never were we told the attacks were anything to do with religion.

Why would anyone even WANT to bring up how bad Catholics are in a sermon? I am surprised she ever went back to the church again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• There are actually Churches out there that regularly preach about why specifically Catholics are wrong. I'll bet they preach against other denominations too, but I have met people who go to Churches that are against Catholicism. Some of it I think is a defense mechanism...some of these churches are break-offs of the Catholic Church and it's important to them that people see why the broke off and why they are "right" and Catholics are "wrong". Others I think, I have to agree with momof3, just don't understand what the Church teaches and their hate is driven by fear. I think it's sad and there's so much misinformation out there that it just fuels it right along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Anti-Catholic groups will probably claim they're not preaching "hate" against Catholics - they're just trying to spread the "truth". The only problem is that they don't understand and misrepresent Catholic teachings.

"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing." (Bishop Fulton Sheen)

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree. I saw what erin posted in that last question. I agree with her. It is one thing to not agree with their beliefs, but it is wrong to spread hate.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• "Why would anyone even WANT to bring up how bad Catholics are in a sermon? I am surprised she ever went back to the church again."

i have no idea. luckily, the guy was a guest preacher & was not invited back. it took a lot of convincing for us to get her to visit again. they both attend a different church now that they are married, i dont blame them!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2009