when to send my 2 yr old back to school?

My 2 yr old just started preschool going two mornings a week (Tu/Th). As luck would have it, he came down with a cold the day after he started. I kept him home from school Thursday since his nose was running pretty steadily. Colds don't really seem to bother him much so our day went fairly normally. By Monday, his nose wasn't running but he was still a little stuffy and coughing a bit (nothing major). He was sleeping and eating wellI sent him to school Tuesday. Which brings me to my question. What criteria do you use to determine when to send your child back to school after a cold? He didn't have a good day at school and I can't decide how much may have been related to being a little under the weather vs it simply being only his second day.. He went happily enough with me this morning...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I usually abide by the fever rule as I call it whenever my little one gets sick she always has a fever and I make sure she goes 24hrs before going back as for a runny nose I wouldn't worry to much about that as long as it isn't really green and thick they will be ok with wiping his little nose for him Hope he feels much better gl
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 3:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Since he is new to school, he will likely have quite a few little colds this year. I wouldn't send him if he was running a fever or appeared to not be feeling well, but if it's just s little cough I'd send him (coughs can drag on for a couple of weeks even when the child is no longer sick). Until he has been at school longer it will be hard to judge what is a normal day at school for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Wow. Little kids that small, that don't know when to cover their mouths, and they put everything in their mouths and suck on their hands all crammed into one room together. I should think that parents would keep them home until they are completely well. I'm sorry, that's just sick. You are willing contributing to making other children and their families sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009