Who has filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

My husband and i are thinking about it. I'd like to know how much you paid, how long before you were able to get things like cable and things? I was told that i would lose my house....but i have read that that's not true. any info would be great. PM if you have to.

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can get cable the same da y you file but I'm curious why are you filing 7 instead of 13. 13 you can keep what you want, make payment arrangements that will last up to 5 years. I really advice speaking with a lawyer and learn about 7 and 13 before starting this process.
    Ministerswife

Answer by Ministerswife at 3:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I filed for bankruptcy many years ago, the law has changed since then. For me the law was my credit was clear after 7 years and gone from my record after 10 years. You can still get cable, and groceries and things like that. Necessity things are not taken away from you. You should find a lawyer to help you, I used Jacoby & Meyers many years ago. but, you can find an inexpensive lawyer, and ask them all the questions you need. You can also find help information on the internet by searching your state, bankruptcy and what to expect. They do provide so many helpful information over the internet for people that need help.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I have...you have to pay your lawyer fees. Which is about $2000, which you do want a lawyer! You have to qualify to file bankruptcy. You choose if you want to keep your home and your vehicles, we choose to let them go. You are able to keep your cable...it is not a debt, if you do not have it you can get it at any time. Only debts are filed. Bankruptcy WILL NOT cover student loans under any form of bankruptcy. For us the process took about four to five months to complete. As soon as you file you stop payments on what you are filing! If you have any questions please feel free to message me and I will do my best!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• sry the reason i asked about cable..i know it seems petty..but each me and my husband have debts to the 3 cable companies that service our area so they will be included in our area.
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My ex husband and I filed when we were still married after he was injured on the job and workers comp was not enough, we struggled for over a year before filing. We were able to keep our utilities and get rid of the past balances by paying a "good faith deposit", when we eventualy moved and closed those accounts we received those deposits back. A house will be listed as it's a debt and you have a choice....let them take it, or keep making payments (it's called re-affirm). Each statement said something to the effect of "This is not an attempt to collect a debt, you are not obligated to pay....." basically pay it if you want to live there, or walk out the door and let them have it.

Cable will really depend on the specific companies policies, some may not let you open accounts. You may be able to reaffirm with one of them so you can keep the account, but you'll have to pay what you owe.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009