Has anyone ever potty trained their child when they were 11 months old?

I've been able to get my twins to poop and pee on the toilet a couple times a day. They seem to understand the correlation and will push everytime I sit them down on the toilet and will start to fuss if they dont want or need to go. They like to flush and watch it all go down, lol. Obviously they wont be able to tell me when they have to go but if I stick them on the potty right when they wake up, they will go. I am wondering if I am starting this too early, but my stepdaughter wasnt trained until she was 4 and it was really hard.

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What! My daughter doesn't even know what a toilet is, she's very smart but not potty trained.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If it works and doesn't make all of you nuts, go for it! If, however, they start to give you a hard time, let it go and wait for them.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I started my son at 10 months. He is now 17 months and still using the potty. to help out i would go outside and have big boy underwear and when I noticed he had to go i would tell him hurry hurry go to the potty, and if i noticed he had an accident and would remind him of what he was doing so he new when he had to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Believe me, I have no intentions of putting underwear on them anytime soon, but I know that we waited way too long with my SD. This all started when they both had diarrhea and a terrible rash and I was putting them on the toilet to rinse their little tooshies off because the wipes hurt them. I guess they weren't quite finished up yet and so one time Mady started going on the toilet and could hear it and I think thats how she was able to make the correlation. Olivia did the same later on that day. Its been about 8 days now and they've each pooped or peed on the toilet at least once each day. If they fuss when I sit them down, I dont force it , I just take them off and let them go in their diaper. I hope I'm not doing any damage. Dr said it was fine.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 4:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It is physically impossible for them to controle the muscles that are used for this. Besides why push them? Why the big hurry to make them grow up?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You are out of your mind to think that a baby that young can hold in thier urine. It is a fact they cant control the muscles untill age 2.5 and up. some times 4yrs. You are setting yourself up for a nightmare of accidents and embarrassment for those children!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• WAY TO EARLY. THEY WILL KNOW WHEN THEY ARE READY. YOU SAID IT YOURSELF THEY CANT EVEN TELL YOU WHEN THEY HAVE TO GO!! MY DD WAS READY AT 18 MTS AND I POTTY TRAIN HER SLOWLY SHE WAS FULLY POTTY TRAIN BY 24 MTS. IS NOT ABOUT YOU IS ABOUT THEM !! IF YOU POTTY TRAIN EARLY IOS GOING TO BACKFIRED. LIKE SOME OTHERS SAID WHATS THE THE HURRY!! THEY ARE STILL BABIES.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It is a fact they cant control the muscles untill age 2.5 and up.

thats not a fact my dd had muscle control at around 18 mts. she is now 30 mts and fully potty train
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Have you seen the Elimination Communication? I've met a lot of people who do it, and have seen it work (to a greater or lesser extent, depending on a lot of factors)...

For people with really regular schedules --eating at the same times every day, and who have no problems with accidents (either in a diaper or outside or on floors --trust me, I know a WIDE variety of people!!), it works well. Other people who want clean furniture all the time and get wrapped up in the Who's The Best Mommy competition, using their kids' precocious (or conditioned) behaviour to prove their worth... not so well.

It is you that is 'trained', not your kids. They will still have to learn what it feels like in their bodies to need to go, and how to feel that with enough lead time to make it to the washroom. But this can save a lot of laundry (or make for regular carpet cleaning... depends )
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2009