Why does my 4 month old scream when I put her to bed at night?

When I put my baby to bed at night she cries, which seems like forever! I will give her a pacifier, she will stop for a bit and then start again. I feed her before laying her down to make sure she is full, but she is still crying. This has been going on since she was 2 months. Last night I put her down at 8 and went on and off till 10:30. I ended up getting her up and holding her til she fell asleep, then about 30 minutes after I put her back in her crib she would cry again. Anyone got any ideas on how to stop this?

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she burp good after eating? she could be starting to get teeth. Maybe Reflux? They don't need to actually spit up to have reflux... how does she do for naps? 4 months is too young for her to be doing this JUST To be held so something is bugging her! this is such a hard age - I remember My son would only sleep long periods ( 4-5 hours maybe ) at this age in his swing.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• She needs the warmth of your body, she needs to hear your heart beat like when he was inside, she needs to feel secure, try bunding her up with the blanket like a burrito like they did in the hospital, and if that fails, just rock her to sleep, so what if you will end up creating a rocking routine, enjoy it, savor it, let the house work wait! She is this young for a very short time, savor every moment for before you know it she will be asking for the car keys!

Answer by older at 4:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Because she's learned to associate her bed with bad feelings?

The #1 recommendation for insomniacs is to 'never do anything stressful, or anything but sleep-related things in the sleep area.' But childcare 'experts' continue to tell parents that teaching the child that bed/bedroom is a place of punishment and stress is not only normal but necessary.

If every time you entered a room you hurt so much it made you cry, would you happily walk in?

If you can, switch rooms... change the paint, swap her crib with a totally different one, wash her sheets in a different detergent --make the whole room 'new' so it's not associated with anything as horrible as crying alone in the dark for hours. Put her to bed asleep for at least a month.

At 4months, physiologically human babies shouldn't even be born yet. She is too young to understand that you exist when she can't see you, and far too young to know windows keep tigers out.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009