Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it true of the man your tryin to take to court to establish childs supports on welfare you can not get anything?

My friend tried to go to court house n get a court date to establish support and they looked up the guys name n said they couldnt do anything cuz he was on child support. So now shes f'ed and thats it?

Answer Question

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You know, that really doesn't make a lot of sense, what you typed that is.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • How is an able bodied man eligible for welfare?

    It is true that they cannot garnish disability or unemployment like they can wages. But usually the courts will order some kind of minimum child support, and if the parent can't pay it, it just accumulates as arrears. I gues we'd have to know more about the situation to know why he was exempt from child support.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • I am guessing you mean that they couldn't go after him for child support because he is on welfare? I am sorry, but the question is worded strangely and I didn't really get it.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • If he is on public assistance such as food stamps or receiving child support for another child then no he cannot be made to pay child support in many states. My x tried to get custody of one of our kids just so he could get assistance and not have to pay me.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • My stepson's mother is on welfare, but she still pays her child support. It is court ordered, and granted it isn't garnished or set up through any agency, but she pays it. We discussed it with our attorney and he said that she was still receiving income that was more than her child support payment and coupled with her foodstamps and her husband's income, they were making enough to not be considered exempt. Hopefully that helps and makes sense. We were also told that if she wasn't paying, that as soon as she did get a job or become more financially stable, they would garnish the back support as well as her current support.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • hello from personal experience with my little brother he was only 17 when his 15 yr old g/f had their baby and she took him to court and what they based his monthly child support off of was minimum wage even though he didn't have a job so he worked with my uncles to pay her. i would hire an attorney or go through ur state attorney general and get it established.

    Answer by Lovebugto2 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • sorry i worded it all crazii..i was all worked up when i wrote it..anyway bc the man is on welfare(idk y) cuz hes capable of working..they can not establish a child support case . is that right?

    Answer by MamaOf3Girls09 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

  • I have personally had my ex's UNEMPLOYMENT garnished for child support. he was lazy and not getting a job, yet i worked 2, had the kids full time ( he didnt see them at all!) and went to school! (he didnt even take them so i could save daycare money) Get an attorney! even if he doenst have a job they will base it off your income and state his as min. wages!

    Answer by roxyann76 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.