does cigarette smoking affect breast milk?

chevygirl200319

Asked by chevygirl200319 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it does. The nicotine is in the breastmilk. If you have to smoke try not to for an hour before you breastfeed or pump.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 3:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• I think so. I would notice a gassy difference with my baby if I smoked.
    alabasterpixie

Answer by alabasterpixie at 3:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• Yes it does. Heavy smoking by breastfeeding moms occasionally causes symptoms in the breastfeeding baby such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. It also causes lower milk production, interference with milk let down, lower levels of prolactin which must be present for milk production to occur. However, it could lead to weaning faster. If you smoke, breastfeeding is really recommended because breastfeeding helps counteract the effects of second hand smoke on their lungs.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 3:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• Um, breastfeeding DOES NOT counteract the effects of second hand smoke!! I have never heard something so stupid in all my life. Not only does the nicotine pass into your milk, but it also makes your milk taste like an ashtray!! Why would you give that to your baby??
    AlanasMom323

Answer by AlanasMom323 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• Why dont you look something up before you criticize someone alana.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 5:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• Smoking is bad period. Why not give your child some heathly lungs? And that means second hand smoke. It makes me sick to think parents feel its ok to smoke around their children!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• bf-ing or not, mom smoking is bad for the baby. it sticks to your skin, it sticks to your clothes, whether you smoke around baby or not baby is picking up more nasty shit that you'd think. your child will be more prone to illnesses, bf-ing or not, because you smoke. and stampmama - how the hell can you begin to believe that bf-ing counteracts 2nd hand smoke?! that's just assinine - i don't care what "research" you think you have to back it up! you're killing your child!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• I always find it funny when others criticize studies & basic breastfeeding facts. It shows the intelligence and maturity of the one speaking. It is definitely true that it is best to breastfeed if you smoke BUT it is always best for everyone if you quit.

"Breastfeeding provides many immunities that help your baby fight illness and can even help counteract some of the effects of cigarette smoke on your baby: for example, breastfeeding has been shown to decrease the negative effects of cigarette smoke on a baby's lungs. It's definitely better if breastfeeding moms not smoke, but if you can't stop or cut down, then it is better to smoke and breastfeed than to smoke and formula feed."

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• No one said it was healthy to smoke with a baby around. I was just simply stating that because she does smoke, breast feeding is better than formula feeding. Good god people. She was asking for advice and support. Dont push your freakin' beliefs on her. She is not a bad mother. If you dont wanna believe facts that are given, i dont care. Dont criticise me. Dont put down what i had to say. It is simply my opinion and things that i found online. It is not your business to tell me that i am wrong. Youre not an expert and neither i am. She can chose what she wants to believe no matter what you say.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 7:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2008

• I think I missed the part where she mentioned she was smoking around the baby. Sheesh.
    alabasterpixie

Answer by alabasterpixie at 7:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2008