A premie in a car set...

My son is only 4 pounds right now but coming home in a few days. I am so scared to drive him. he's so tiny. Is a car seat safe enough to accommodate such a tiny baby? I mean is it to big? What if the straps don't get small enough? I'm so scared!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ask them to check the seat for you when you are leaving. In Ohio, they don't check, they take you to the door and off you go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• the doctors will check everything to make sure everything will be okay :) Congrats on your new baby!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• most infant seats accomodate starting at 4 and 5 lbs. but yes it is required for nurses to make sure the seat is safe for your baby to travel home in. you'll be ok. drive 5 mph if you want....who cares what other ppl on the road say :-p
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If your baby is too small for an infant seat, they will make sure you have a safe place for your baby to ride home.

My son was 5lbs 4oz but dropped down to 4lbs 10oz before he started gaining weight. He was really tiny and in preemie clothes for 2 months. But he fit just fine into his infant seat.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You can always roll up recieving blankets to put on either side of baby to keep him from bumping around in the seat. Congrats.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You can get the perfect car seat from the NICU. Ask them for one...they are great and also I got inserts for our car seats that support their back and neck..Good luck:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Mine were the exact same size. We were told to put a recieving blanket under them to lift them up as well as the padded neck rolles they have for babies. Mine were fine in the infant seats. I wish you well with your little one. Mine are now 11 and though they have developmental problems and are small for their age, they are healthy and happy.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• they will do a carseat challenge which is just checking the oxygen level while in the seat for an hour. They will adjust and strap him in for you. you will just have to worry about that when he grows, my son left the nicu at just an ounce over 5 lbs ... they padded his sides with rolled blankets (inside the straps to make up for the space left after the smallest strap setting. they should know what they are doing and really do most of it for you. my hospital insisted on carrying the baby out of their hosp. to your car (i think it was a liability issue with their insurance in case someone ever dropped a baby on the property.) tell your baby's doc about your concerns.... he/she will tell you what to expect from them.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009