bfing switching to milk and becoming allergic

So i bf'd til my boy was 15 months. I stopped cold turkey b/c i was put on antidepressant med. and i didnt feel right about bfing and being on the medication so i had to stop cold turkey. I gave him every kind of milk and i even tried pediasure. He is allergic to it all. He get a bad bad bad rash when he would poop, and it hurt him really badly so i stopped giving him milk all together and he cleared up. I know give him yogurt and other food to replace the vitamins. I want to know if anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• What about rice milk or soy milk?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Try soy milk or Lactose free milk. If he still can't handle milk. I wouldn't worry. Just give him yogurt, cheese, etc in place of the milk. No one NEEDS to drink milk for nutrients, there are other foods he can eat in place of the milk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• my youngest is allergic to cow's milk, i'm glad you are finding out early that it is the milk, we waited 2 years before finally figuring out what the problem was. anywhoooo....there are so many choices out there. rice, soy and almond milk all have a wonderful taste to them and even goat's milk can be subsituted if you want a true milk based product. all available at your local wallymart.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:22 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Give him a sippy cup with water, and make sure that he is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc. Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2009