My cat is allergic to his own teeth

Hiya, My young cat Tommy is allergic to his teeth. He's been on a course of anti inflammatories and anti-biotics, but with no luck. They've told me extraction is the best option for him, so i've booked him in for the end of the week.

I'd never heard of this before and wondered if anyone else was in the same position or have I just got a freaky cat?

Any tips? Can they feed okay? Does it alter their personality in any way?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 4:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pets

• I love cats and they all have their own quirks but I have never heard of that before. What type of symptoms does he have to lead the doc to think he's allergic to teeth?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• his gums were swellng and he had (has) absesses forming right at the gumline. The vet said the allergy could be to anything, but its was likely to be his teeth because of WHERE the absesses and swelling were.

He's a lively but timid little man, hates going outdoors, doesn't bother with the budgies or my children (4 and 22 months)..he's lovely and so affectionate! and im a bit anxious about how he'll be affected. I dont want him to change!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Sounds to me like your Vet Saw you coming! Allergic to his teeth? Teeth are bones. If your cat is allergic to his own teeth then he's allergic to ALL his bones. Try not feeding the cat ANY wet, canned food. Can food causes allot of gum infections in some cats. Tell you Vet NO on the tooth removal. Your just making the Vets house or car payment if you go through with it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would definatly get a second opinion. I was a vet tech back before kids and I have NEVER heard of a cat being allergic to its teeth. Call and make an appointment with another vet-tell them nothing and see what they say is wrong with the cat. If they say the same thing then go through with the operation-but again it sounds like a bunch of crap to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Feline Stomatitis? Is that what it is? Not really common but I have seen it. I have been working for a vet for 10 years. We have had that I know of have to get full dental extractions. It's sad but it will be better for your kitty in the end! Good Luck with surgery!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Wow, never heard that one before. I'd have to research that one before I subjected my cat to surgery. Poor kitty. I guess canned food will be easy enough to eat but I'm thinking no dry for sure
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• It is stomatitis, which I think is an auto-immune disease. I have many cats and right now I have 3 cats who have this disease. It is terrible. Their mouth is so painful, it hurts them to eat and I have seen them running and screaming from their food bowl in pain.

I take them in periodicially for steroid shots, but eventually I know their molars will have to be pulled. I'm sorry your cat has this. It is fairly common actually.
    ASARTIN

Answer by ASARTIN at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Yes. He does have it. Im not a mug or anything like that thank you. He's allergic to the coating on his teeth or something like that (I want to say tar but im not sure if thats right)...

Thanks for people's advice... A vet has a degree, a vet is a qualified professional. They work for an institution, they work for a vetinary centre. They wont just make up a disease just because their car needs paying..at least not in Britain they wont. I am not that stupid that i'd go to some back alley vet! So yeah! I will listen to their opinon, if i thought i knew better i wouldnt have taken him in the first place.

he's having them extracted. its best for him, anyone who disagrees can naff off :)
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 12:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I actually have three "toothless cats". Theirs had to be extracted mainly because of decay (they're all very old). Honestly, it really wasn't a big deal at all. After the operation I fed them wet food for about 2 days, but all three of them started eating dry food the same day they got home. And they seem soooooo much happier, they actually eat more now!

And I agree with you, vets are trained to diagnose diseases, so I relally don't see why they'd make stuff up.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2009