Help me with french toast !!!

I follow a recipe but for some reason they ALWAYS come out soggy !!
I have tried thick bread , I have tried not soaking the bread long EVERYTHING I can think of .
What am I doing wrong !!??

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 4:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Cook it a little longer. Thats what I have to do.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• umm maybe not cooking it long enough....OR are you covering the pan? dont bc of steam...ummm maybe too much milk or other fluids besides egg. when you cook it melt a lil butter (just enough to cook the slice of bread) and it will help keep bread from sticking so you can leave it a lil longer.....hopefully something helps lol good luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• most of the time when you find a french toast recipe you ALWAYS need to cook it 30-60 minutes longer than it says. good luck
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 5:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The pan is not hot enough when you put the bread in. You can use a very shallow amount of oil then your frying the bread and it wont be siggy
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You know now that I think of it, the last time I made it I used partially frozen bread. Maybe that's why last time I made it came out pretty darn good! Let me know if you find a tried and true way and I'll do the same for you! lol
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 8:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I get a hot skillet, spray with Pam non stick spray and turn when the toast is golden brown. I cook the other side until it is the golden brown I like. I don't time it. I go by sight.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Use a HOT skillet with nonstick spray or a bit of butter or oil. Don't soak the bread in the eggs wash, just lightly cover each side. Let the excess drip off. Cook on each side until crispy. DON"T smash it down with the spatula. I just keep watch and check every few minutes. It is best to use bread that is NOT fresh.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Okay you have to use butter or a butter spray and a heated frying pan.
    Never use fresh bread, always use bread close to the "sell by" date
    dip each side once, quikly in the egg mix and lay gently into pan or griddle
    turn after 3 minutes and cook the other side 3 or 4 minutes
    Do not use warm heat, you need a medium to high heat.

just remember the fresher the bread the more soggy the french toast....also whole wheat bread is really good to use and much better for you.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• another thing I forgot to add was that I sprinkle cinnamon on the bread while it fry's up it adds flavor and keeps the bread from being soggy
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Never use soft bread. Use bread that is about to go stale & is firmer...like too firm to make a nice sandwich with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Sep. 23, 2009