What do you think the main reasons for teenage girls becoming pregnant?

I have to be honest, I have a 9 yr old daughter who just got her period. It's shocking to say the least. And with kids becoming sexually active at earlier ages, it makes me wonder about alot of things with my daughter. I became pregnant w/her when I was 16 & the reason was because I was looking for the love that i wasnt getting at home. What are some ways (name as many as you can) that i can prevent this same thing from happening to my daughter. I know she's only 9, but before i know it, she'll be 13.. 14.. 15...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think the main reason is that they don't believe it can actually happen to them. They believe the guy. And what you said about looking for love.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i think a lot is your reasoning. also rebellion...some parents push so hard kids get an "i'll show you" attitude. umm boredom...sad to say. peer pressure, tv ( i think its made to be ok and acceptable which drives me crazy). o and back to the parent thing, some dont care what they're kids do, so they're out doing whatever they feel like.

whatever it is.....they do the crime, they pay the time is how i look at it. in no way do i think a 13 yr old needs to be preg. at the same time, if they willingly had sex and get prego at 16, i dont think they should get an abortion.....adult enough to do it, better be prepared for a kid. i love those shows where they give a teen a real baby to deal with for a couple days, bc thats prob the best BC ever lol....
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• honestly i think that teenage girls are romanticizing the idea of babies, like you said looking for love they didnt have at home and they dont realize that its SO hard to feel loved when all a baby does is demand demand demand and never thank (because they are babies)

i mean yes sometimes it happens on accident but with all the ways we have of preventing pregnancy it shouldnt happen as much as it is (at least in CA, on the news there was this high school and 15% of the girls were pregnant, and it was just a normal high school)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• They don't practice safe sex or don't care to, and some just think they are more grown up then they really are, they don't realize they are still kids (growing up still) themselves!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I believe we are making our children grow up too quickly.....

For instance...my parents get an old times magazine....full of old timey pictures. It showed a picture of two sisters sitting on the bed in the 1950's playing with paper dolls.

Now can you picture for a moment ANY 15 or 16 year old girl who would be interested in playing paper dolls now? NO, b/c they are interested in boys and makeup. WHY? Society and parents.

Keep em immature....keep em babies.....they grow up too fast.....

AND they dont have the capacity to predict the consequences of their actions....not on that big of a scale anyways.

Scary and sad....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I forgot to mention.....that the girls in the picture in that magazine were 15 and 16 years old. sorry.
    Anonymous

• As someone who became a teen mom at 17, I can say that it was a combination of lack of parental interest in what I am doing and that the guy fed me a load of crap. My parents were friends with my oldest son's father. He was 23 when he got me pregnant at 16. My parents never said a word to me or him about his hanging around me all the time. He took me out places and used the L word. Well, being a 16yr old with low self esteem you can imagine how that sounded. But, in the end I ended up raising a son on my own. My son turned out to be a good kid, but I had to work hard to get him where he is. And he still rarely sees his dad. My advice, talk with your kids. I wished my parents would have.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 6:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Has anyone looked at how 12 year old girls look like 18 year old girls used to look? How many parents are busy keeping up with the neighbors? Money is more important then family? Children are great as long as they aren't needing parents attention? A child is doing anything they want and parents don't know what they are doing until the police knock on th door? Kids are put in so many a extracurricular activities they don't know if they are having a good time or not? should we go on? Its jsut not good....Lacy
    lacylady

Answer by lacylady at 6:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree that most are looking for love they are receiving at home.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The biggest problem is with parents who are trying to be friends instead of parents and don't take the time to instill family values. When this happens, teenagers care more about disappointing their peers than they do their parents.

Also, I totally agree with the anon that said that parents and society are allowing (and even pushing) kids to grow up too fast. Protect your kids and keep them kids. Let them watch age appropriate shows, dress in age appropriate attire, and only make that is appropriate for the given age. Don't bend to the pressure of your child wanting to fit in more than they want to follow your rules.

Another issue is with lack of parental supervision. Most teenage sexual activity occurs on weekdays between 3 and 5 pm. This is when they are out of school, but are unsupervised because their parents are still at work. Also, parents send their preteens off on "group dates" which is also a dangerous time.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009