Should a company have access to your social security number

prior to any type of formal interview process? I filled out an application today at Trade Secret at the Mall. I purposely left off my SS #. The lady (not manager) just called me and said she was going to send in my background papers, but there was no SS# on there. She didn't come out and ask for it and I told her I left it off on purpose. I told her the company could contact me directly if they needed it. She asked if I could come back in in the morning to give it to her. What do you think? I am uncomfortable with this at least prior to any sort of interview.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I only put the last 4 on my applications, until I get an interview. Especially if u are just filling out an application and dont know if they are hiring. Your application will go into a file cabinet with everyone to have access to, with all your personal info on it. I know better. I was working as a Customer Service Rep last year at a furniture store and there were about 12 people fired from about 5 different stores that were taking people's SSN off their applications and using them for identity theft, along with some of the customer's that purchased items credit card #'s
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I never ever put it until the day I am hired. I do not trust anyone that much what does a store manager mean anyway trustworthy yea right!
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• neither of you must have ever worked much in your lives. The SS# is always needed on an application, and if it were me hiring? Id throw both your application out because you left it off the application. The application if you READ it says what sections MUST be filled out, and if you cant follow directions for the application? Your not going to tdo the job well either.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009