??? about ebay/paypal HELP!!

I just won an auction on ebay and I need to pay for it through paypal. When I go to pay it say Insurance $10.00 (optional). After looking at the questions under help/question section for paypal on ebay, people posted that the buyer should not pay the insurance because they are already covered through paypal if the item is lost/damaged. When I talked to the seller today, she mentioned that I should buy insurance because it's shipping insurance, she said she thought it was $10.00 for every 100 coverage. She said she wasn't aware of buyers being covered under paypal. The item I purchased is expensive and I want to make sure i'm covered but also I don't want to pay for extra stuff I I don't need too. Can someone explain this whole insurace thing to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sure, you WILL be covered with the Paypal Buyer Protection. The seller is responcible for assuring your item arrives to you in the condition in which it was sent. If you do not receive it or it arrives damaged, not as described or the wrong item all you do is open a claim/dispute with paypal and send the item back with Delivery Confirmation. Once the DC shows it was delivered back to the seller, paypal TAKES the money from the seller and gives it back to you.

USPS insurance is for the SELLERs protection only. In fact ebay just started a new policy that sellers CANNOT charge insurance or make it optional or required. They can add it to the s&h, shipping or into the price of the item for their protection but it is NOT the buyer's responcibility to purchase it or be forced to.

Also direct her here: http://www.usps.com/prices/insurance-prices.htm
    It would have to be one heck of a pricey item for her to charge $10
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• ..cont.I would tell the seller that the insurance option is being removed by ebay (it's supposed to be gone by October 1st, it may already be gone) and sellers will no longer be allowed to offer insurance.

ebay made this policy because too many sellers on eBay mistakingly say things like "I am not responcible for this item once it leaves my hands, so purchase insurance" or the simply have NO return policy. Sure, they can choose to not accept returns but the reality is, if they take paypal they have NO choice but to accept returns. And THEY ARE in fact responcible for the item until it gets to YOUR hands, not only up to the postal worker taking it or placing it in the mailbox.

The postal worker can take a bat to your package and bust the item to pieces but it'll come down to the seller eating the costs, not you! USPS insurance is only for the seller to re-coup the loss that way, while the buyer has paypal buyer prot.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Thanks Mom2jack, the way the seller was explaining it to me I would be spending amost $240.00 just for insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• LOL yeah definately show her the link I gave from the USPS website.....I can't find the specific link from the announcement about the insurance on ebay, it was announced in July that this was taking effect at the end of September, but I did find the exact wording of the new policy on the help boards there....so you may want to show her this and tell her to visit the discussion forums on ebay:

The policy states:

Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed: The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009