Is it common practice to leave little ones home alone to go grocery shopping?

My friends (yes, they are more than one) do this. I didnt know at first until last weekend when one of them mentioned she had gone to the store and left her 2 year old and 1 year old home alone. Her reasoning was that they were taking a nap and she NEVER wakes them up from their nap. Plus that is the only time she has during the day to get things done. The are asleep and so would not get into any trouble while she was gone.

Isnt this illegal? . I would never ever think about doing this. As much as I love my time alone while grocery shopping, I have never left my kids alone at home. Do other moms do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i never have and never would. I cant believe someone would do that maybe a 9 yr old, but still? WOW
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• What kind of friends do you have that would leave their young children home alone. Even if they are sleeping. i have 3 young children and am preg. with #4. My boys are 5, 4 and 17mo. i have to shop with all 3 and soon to be 4 all of the time. yes, it is illegal to leave children home without supervision. I don't even leave my boys alone to pump gas even if i can see my car. I always pay at pump. Are you serious? I feel bad for those children!!!!!! what if they wake up sick and need mommy? God forbid if the house got broken into like my cousins house did while her son and her were at the grocery store. What are these people thinking. Anything could happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I believe that if she were to get caught, that she would most likely face either negligence or child endangerment charges. In our state, it is illegal to leave kids that age in the car alone much less in an apartment/home without any supervision. Your friends sound stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Its child endangerment.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 5:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Yeah, it's illegal and I'd be the first one to call the cops. I had two small children at the same time and I took them EVERYWHERE with me. My ex SIL did that to my nephews when they were 3 & 1 - she lost her kids FOR GOOD. I'm gonna stop right here - cuz this kind of stuff makes me mad.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Um, it's illegal. I'm not going to judge them, I've made my mistakes with my little ones just like everyone else but WOW, they see nothing wrong with it? Anything can happen to them. It's irresponsible and a reality check should be on the menu for them instead of food! Yes, I agree, you should have already called the police and reported them.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• So, when the house burns down and her children die, I hope they learn their lesson. Christ people are so damn stupid sometimes...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Of course it is illegal. Think about this one. In 1983 an acquaintance of mine left her 2 year old sleeping in his crib while she jumped in the car to run down to a store. The store was exactly  3/4th of a mile from her driveway to the parking lot. She needed milk. She had told me before that she had done this "he's fine,he never wakes up". This trip was no different. Her child was fine. She however, was killed at the intersection at the end of the street when she pulled out in front of the trash truck. Most accidents happen within a 10 mile radius of your home. I was pregnant with my oldest son when this happened. It was a lesson I will never forget.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm not worried about the house burning down as much as I'm worried about a car accident! and that is why I will scoop up my 4 yr old out of a deep sleep in the AM just to drive his sister to school 3 blocks to school....
    ...she could walk but has sports and her book bag and sports bag are too heavy to walk that far..

Just the fact that a million things can happen and one mistake....BAMMM!!! your on Nancy Grace!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• yes it is neglect.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2009