how can I get my preschooler on a schedule?

my son turned 3 in june. I had a baby girl in august. ds has never had a schedule (aside from lunch then naptime but lunchtime varies between 11:30 - 1:30) he never needed one but I'm thinking it will truely help him with his behavior. dh comes home at 1:30 and really doesn't do scedules. this makes it hard for me to put/keep ds on a schedule as well since we usually end up going out and getting back home at odd hours. some days we are home by 5 others we get home and start dinner at like 7:30 so ds is in bed around 9. I just can't do it anymore! I'm going to talk to dh about it but was hoping for some sample schedules. also I'm hoping it will be an easy enough schedule that dd can somewhat be on. right now I'm feeding on demand and she sleeps whenever she wants.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The best thing to do as far as a schedule goes is do one thing at a time
    like start with a cerrtain time for bathtime. When my son was 3 i started bathtime at 8 pm. If we were out i would make sure we were home by 8 for bathtime.
    then after 2 or three weeks add another thing like 7 pm dinner 8 pm bath 9 pm bedtime
    sooner or later you will have your whole day planned
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 5:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would start with a routine and not a schedule. Schedules are rigid and had to stray from. A routine would be more like We wake up at ___ We have breakfast them we play in our room. After that we have a snack and then play outside. While I make lunch you watch a show on the t.v. after lunch straight to nap. you wake up and get a snack followed by playing in the living room. While I make dinner you watch a show on the t.v. we have dinner. You pick up toy's while I clean the kitchen then off to bath time then a story then bed.
    there is no specific time set for any event but it is predictable and there is room for manipulation when things com up. Like an invite to lunch or a trip to the zoo. You can drop the routine while out and then hop back on when you get home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2009