How do you feel about people who accept WIC, but they smoke?

If you can afford smokes you can afford a lot that WIC covers. This is just my opinion, what's yours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If I were to see someone smoking and receiving WIC, I would probaly mind my own damn business!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• agreed. It bugs me more when they have food stamps. What do you think OP?
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Money isn't the purpose of WIC. The purpose it is to provide pregnant women and children with adequate, basic nutrition that we need. It's more about getting proper nutrition than anything. Plus women only get it until they deliver. Then their child(ren) will get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Oh no some one that gets wic smokes what has this world come too... (rolling eyes)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If you can afford the cigarettes then you should be able to budget and put your kids first. I won't mind my own damn business because tax dollars pay for WIC. Yes, the woman and kids totally need nutritious food and if they qualify that support, but I am offended by where other $ goes. I can admit it is not my business, per say, but I feel it is a valid issue none the less. Sadly, a free hand-out makes some unmotivated to change.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• This is the dumbest question I have ever heard. OMG do you really care that much about other peoples lives? DO you feel the need to think you are better then us? WE pay taxes too....
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 6:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• The appropriate thing to do would to be to slowly cut back on smoking as it is bad for your health and your children's health. Also, don't pose a question if you feel it is no one's business because you open yourself up to criticisms that you may not like. And she is right, a free hand-out CAN make SOME unmotivated to change. If you believe you can change, then keep right on smoking and concentrate on changing your financial situation. Or you can make the change to a healthier lifestyle and quit smoking. The choice is yours but don't stay on WIC for an extended period of time if you continue to smoke.
    Also, on the side of quitting smoking you should. Smoking has never been proven to cause cancer but it has been proven to cause heart disease. You are speaking to someone who has lost a father, a grandmother and two grandfathers to heart disease due to smoking. Don't be the parent who chose satisfaction over health.
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 6:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Why do you care? Are you struggling and cant qualify for WIC?
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 6:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I feel that they are making a poor choice. If they are strapped enough to need WIC, it's unfortunate that they'd waste what little money they have on cigarettes. But, they are highly addictive and I feel that the tobacco companies are at fault.

It's a bad way for people to spend their money, but it is their money to spend.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If you can afford cigarettes you can afford to feed your babies. Don't abuse government programs.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 6:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009