Umbillical Cord Concerns....

Does ayone else worry that the umbillical cord will wrap around their babies neck, while they are pregnant? I've heard it has happened, but I wasn't sure if anyone else worried about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is a common thing during pregnancy, all three of my children were born with the cord around the neck... Watch a baby story, or delivery room shows on TLC, and discovery. You will see how common it is. Babies are also good at grabbing their own cords and cutting off O2 supply for a few seconds. But no I didnt worry about it, nothing I can do to prevent it or stop it from happening. Talk to your Dr about it, this might ease your mind.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• This does happen but there isnt anything you can do about it. I think its more during labor and labor prep that it happens, but if youre concerned, talk to your doctor. Chances are that you'll be fine and baby will be too!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I've never worried about it but with my second child she came out and had the cord around her neck and it was in a true knot. Thankfully my water broke when it did and the cord wasn't cutting off her breathing. So I know it happens but I never worried about it with my 3rd pregnancy nor with this one.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My girl had it wrapped 2 times. It's normal during a pregnancy for the cord to wrap and almost every baby's cord does at some point. The most important part of labor is when the head comes out and the doctor tells you to stop pushing...that's when they are checking to see if it is wrapped and how best to un-wrap it. If there's enough slack, they will just turn the baby as they come out so as long as you make it to the hospital, you and the baby will be fine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It is very common (baby is doing flips in there for most of pregancy). However, it is uncommon for the cord wrapping to be serious. In most cases the cord is long enough so there isn't sufficient tension to hurt baby and your midwife or OB can just slip the cord off the neck.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 7:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2009