What are tips for not tearing during delivery?

I had a very painful recovery from the episiotomy that I had to have, what are any tips, to try to prevent tearing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Push only when you feel the urge. Don't push just because people tell you to do it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If you've had a baby previously then you should be pretty loose and saggy and stretch easier. that way you wont tear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• thats not true anon 6:17.. i had a previous birth and didnt tear then i had my DD three weeks ago and i did tear i had to get three stitches! but i heard that u can massage the area with baby oil for like 30 min a day three days a week ( i didnt but should of took this advice) u can ask ur doct for more options
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 6:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• my husband fisted me to loosen me up. It takes a few months to be able to stretch yourself to getting more than 4 fingers in but before you know it your husband can get his whole hand in. Hope this helps. My girlfriend told me this and i was so happy when I didn't tear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Stay upright. Being in an upright position for delivery minimizes tearing and maximizes the space in your pelvis. Evidence doesn't show that perineal massage actually works to prevent tearing, but relaxing your pelvic floor muscles does. When you're pushing, relax ALL Your pelvic floor muscles. Practice now by "bulging" your perinieum when you're doing your kegals.

Eat right. Having a good diet increases your tissue's flexibility.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• learn to relax those muscles through exercise and breathing techniques

Answer by admckenzie at 6:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Wow, first anon is very uneducated. I tore and I can tell you that part of me (the front part is definitely the smallest part even after having a baby.)
    It's due to a lack of skin elasticity that causes tearing, not size.
    \ kegel exercises improve elasticity
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Don't birth baby on your back (standing, squatting, etc positions help baby descend and you are not trying to push baby over bone).

Massage th perineum with EVOO prior to crowing.

Let crowning happen slowly, so the tissues can gradually stretch.

Do what feels best. Many women (with out pain medications) will have the urge to place their hand on their vulva to support it. If you have that urge, don't be worried about touching yourself, do what you body wants you to do!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 7:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009