my son is 3 and hes has adhd?

i wanted to know if anyone knows about the medicine clonidine 0.1 mg my son was perscribed this today at the dr's does it reallt help does anyone have this med prescribed to there children

amandashavers

Asked by amandashavers at 6:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children cant be diagnosed with true ADHD until they are 6. I cant believe your childs doctor diagnosed him so young
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My son was 3 1/2 when he started and it may not be the norm but it's not unheard of. If a professional has determined from observation, anecdotal evidence and surveys that your child has a chemical imbalance that causes ADHD don't be afraid of what others tell you. Medicine is not the answer, it is a conduit so you can teach your child better coping mechanisms. He started Ritilin for 6 months and later changed to Focalin which he's been on for almost 3 years now. He's since also been on risperdol and now is on abilify.
    I've never used clonadine.
    there is a group on this site for adhd. that might be a better venue for this question. You'll have more people who understand your situation.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 6:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would question the type of Dr that DXed your son. If it was a ped, I would see someone with more knowledge and experience with this, at his age a developmental ped is a good starting point. Peds are not qualified to treat ADHD, they only give out meds.
    My son is ADHD also, so yes at 3 they can be DXed. He was not DXed until 5 but was kicked out of several daycare at 3, didn't sleep, wouldn't stop going...he was worse than the energizer bunny LOL.
    The med they gave your son is used primarily for extremely high blood pressure, if you start with this med, you must continue and wean him off so a drastic change in his BP does not happen. my son was on it for awhile but he was almost 6, he is no longer on it. My son used it to help him sleep, I also know a few moms who give it to there children for tourettes.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Hmmm. I personally would be uncomfortable with a diagnosis that young. Just out of curiosity was it a regular ped or a Psychologist? this is just my opinion but I think that ADHD is over medicated anyway. There are non-drug treatments that can be tried first. I don't think meds are NEVER needed I just think to many ped.'s jump to them to quickly. I personally would want a second opinion for a 3.5 year old before giving any meds.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• He is way too young to be diagnosised with any mental health issue, but if I remember correctly. Clonidine is NOT for ADHD, it is for anxiety. And contrary to belief from some parents, a pediatrician is qualified to diagnosis ADHD, that is who diagnosised my son before 2 mental health professionals even thought of it. You can look up Clonidine on webmd or walgreen's website and it will tell you what the meds are used for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009