Is 3 1/2 months too early for a road trip?

My mom and I want to take a trip to Texas, and would rather drive (it'd be much cheaper). We live in MD and will take probably 2 days to drive it. I'm just wondering if 3 1/2 months is too young for my son to be in a carseat that long. If not, anybody have advice on how to make him more comfortable on the trip? Thanks!

OhBaby1467

Asked by OhBaby1467 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. They're probably better behaved at that age than when they are older, as the car ride makes them sleepy. We drove my baby on a 5.5 hr car ride when she was 2 mos. and she was fine. She mostly slept the whole time. I'd suggest taking breaks when he gets antsy. They start getting uncomfortable in their carseats after several hours.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I took my son on a road trip but it was only a 6 hour drive one way. I just had my husband pull over from time to time and I would ;change the baby and nurse him. It was a nice break from the driving too. I do recommend staying in a hotel at night. It would be more comfortable for the baby and momma.
    nov69

Answer by nov69 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• When driving this trip before, we would stop every 8 hours and stay in a hotel over night. Straight through it's a 24 hour drive. But mom and I are both jobless and are looking forward to the bonding time, so it won't be a quick trip. So we'd be able to stop more often.
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Took my dd on a trip 10 hours long trip when she was 3 month old. I was breastfeeding which made it more difficult because we didn't want to stop often. I pumped while husband drove and then fed dd a bottle. Kept us moving and made better time that way...it worked well. We stopped a few times for bathroom breaks and changed her and stopped to eat. they don't need to get up like we do so they're fine. And she was very content looking at her toys and watching the scenery go by. Good luck and have fun! Just remember a cooler for milk or whatever you need like that and leave room so you can crawl into the back seat when you need to!

Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I did a road trip(8 hours, took 12) when my DD was 2 months old. Stop every 3 hours and get your baby OUT of the car seat. Walk around, diaper change, feed, and then do it again.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I took my dd on an 8 hour trip when she was like 2 months and she was great! Just stop every now and then to let him stretch out and stuff.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I don't think so as long as you are making some stops here and there. For basic things like changing or feeding, whatever. She might even sleep a lot of the time being in the car. My kids always fell asleep in the car on long trips. It was pretty good. Oh, and make sure she don't get too hot or cold either. :)
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 10:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009