My friend is past her due date and baby is 9.5 lbs when we wnt to doc yesterday! Why won't they induce?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doc told me that my girl would be around 9 pounds and guess what...she was 7lbs 5 oz. They are not always right and there are many women that give birth to 10 lb babies just fine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• She has had ten pound babies before, and one had injury to his shoulder coming out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would say start making some noise. If she is already past her due date and the doc is talking the baby is large then I would tell your friend to start bugging the doctor that she wants to go ahead and have the baby. She doesn't want to wait to long for the baby to come out or it can cause all sorts of problem for her and the baby!
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 7:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My doctor told me that inducing causes more cramping and bigger possibilities of bleeding. I know a lot of people that at their last ultra sound were told how much the baby weighed but when the baby was born it actually weighed two to three pounds less myself included. They will most likely wait till she is at least a week over due.
    kfiggs

Answer by kfiggs at 7:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• First of all, US are horrible at telling how much a child weights. Second, due dates are typically off. Most Doctors use the 28 day cycle rule (which ovulation happens on day 14, or 2 weeks after last period. However, most women are not ovulating on that schedule. Therefor, it is hard to say if she is truly "over due". As long as mom and baby are healthy there is no reason to induce labor, which inductions may cause more problems for mom and baby.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 7:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• 1. 9.5 pounds isn't really very big
    2. their guesses are notoriously inaccurate. one of my friends' babies was supposed to be 7, and he was 5!
    3. past due date doesn't mean much, 42 weeks is totally normal.
    4. induction carries a lot of risks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• tell her to walk,walk, walk, sex, eat hot foods...has she lost her plug yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Induce, why?
    She sounds like all is great!
    Her due date was just the mid-point in her estimated due period of 4 weeks.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Because u/s weight estimates can be off up to 2 pounds or more in either direction when done in the third trimester, and there is no medical evidence for inducing for suspected fetal macrosomia. It's unnecessarily risky, if baby and mom are both healthy.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• She is worried about her babies size?

"Babies weighing more than 9 pounds and 15 ounces (4,500 grams) are considered much larger than average. (Average newborn weight is 7 pounds and 8 ounces.) It's very difficult to determine whether a baby is truly macrosomic (literally "of large body") while she's still in the womb — only a post-birth weigh-in confirms it."

ACOG recommends intervention only if baby is over 5000 grams which is 11 pounds. Keep in mind they admit there is NO WAY to know how much a baby will weigh until after the baby is born. So if they think by ultrasound a baby will be 11 pounds... the baby could actually only be 9 pounds, well within normal. http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/Big_baby.htm
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009