Would you be ok with it if they lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18? Reason asking is

I agree with the drinking age, but the part that really bugs me is that our children, siblings, whatever can sign up at 18 years of age to go fight and kill and protect our country, but they cannot walk into a bar and order a beer.

I personally think thats unfair and wrong. Myabe they have it in some places that military is allowed to drink, but I was reading on the other question how some women are appalled to even think about someone under 21 drinking. Why is ok at 18 to sign up and fight for your country learning how to use weapons but not ok to have a beer?

This is NOT meant to bash anyone just looking for point of views

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 7:18 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree with your reason. I would vote yes to lower the age but i would like to see more laws in place or like a national shut off limit for everyone. Like 5 beers and thats it, depending on the wieght of the person. I donno i guess thats weird. But yes i agree with you. Hope you get my poing too about the maybe a few more laws. I really worry about parties and driving. Its must be a mom thing. LOL
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Sorry for the bad spelling.
    MommyTurtle1985

• i totally agree with you on that part. And another thing is there is alot of 18-21 yr olds getting into trouble for underage drinking. if they were to lower the age limit, there would be less kids getting in trouble for that. They are gonna drink anyways, why make them try to go behind everyones back and get into even more trouble than if they were drinking legally.
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• LOL I see your point very well and I agree, a cut off limit between 18 and 21 is a great thing although it doesn't stop them from going to another bar lol, I just think if you can sign up to defend your country and put your life on the line it should be legal for you to have a beer if you want.

And no worries mommyturttle I read it just fine lol
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think the age to join the military should be 21 and do not agree with lowering the age limit to drink. The comparison of those two things is not logical at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree Brikay, I don't think the drinking age should be any lower than 18 though, at 18 your officially an adult can live by yourself so why not be able to make adult decisions when it comes to drinking as well
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:27 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I think they either need to lower the drinking are or up everthing else. Voting, driving, age of adutlhood, when you can join the military. I think it is silly to have one 21 and the rest 16,and 18.

Answer by louise2 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I can see the driving at 16 staying the same though and lowering everything else. This way they get a couple years in under their belt of driving experience before everything else comes into play
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• during Vietnam the drinking age was lowered to 18 for that reason. if you can join the military and die for your country you should be able to drink was the theory. in my opinon though i dont think it really matters that much if it gets lowered because i dont think you are any more mature at 21 then you are at 18 so if you are mature enough at 18 to think that joining the military is the best thing for you then you are mature enough to drink. of course then you have to wonder if there will be more drinking related deaths in high school due to the 18 year olds being able to drink.
    mboojum13

Answer by mboojum13 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• it doesn't make sense that you can fight at that age but I disagree about 18 year olds drinking. 40 year olds can hardly hold their alcohol so put a bunch of kids on the road and up the numbers and it'll be a disaster.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009