IS IT WEIRD? help...

is it weird to do relactation, i really wanted to bf i tried the first 2 months but i didnt make enough milk to begin with so i gave up. my son is now 4 months old and i would like to try again.
I know it is possible but is it weird?
what are the benifits of bf vs forula?
wy is it said to be so much better?

joycegina

Asked by joycegina at 7:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• formula is an artificial breastmilk and no matter how much they try, it will not have the same qualities as breast milk.
    If you want to try relactation, go for it. it's hard work but beneficial in the end, even for your morale just to say you tried and did even if it's for a very short time.

With that being said, if you try and can't or decide to not try at all, there is nothing wrong with giving formula. As long as baby is healthy and happy and you are too, then that's the important thing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Of course it's not weird. There are hundreds of benefits of human milk over formula. Breastfeeding offers benefits to the baby, mom, family, society, and the environment. Contact LLL or a Lactation Consultant. It's not too late, even adoptive moms have breastfed.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• mm lets see there areso mnay reasons bm is better then formula,. for once is natural, helps reduced the risk of asthma, diabities ear infections among other decisies. it helps reduced the riks of bread,cervical and ovarian cancer for the mom. is free alwyays the right temperature, has the perfect nutrition for baby. is easy to digist, highter iq. i can go on and on. no is not wird if you truely want to do it ask your doctor for reglan. drink lots of water pump and put baby to breast as much as possible,moms who adopt are able to bf. BREAST IS BEST!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:25 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No, it's not weird. Go ahead and try it. It is ultimately what is the best for your son. Good for you...
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• No, its not weird. The benefit of breastfeeding is that the milk is specifically tailored to YOUR child. If you're sick, your milk will contain antibodies to the particular illness you have, therefore, protecting your baby from possibly getting full blown sick, or sometimes they won't even catch what you have. Benefits also include, always there, always the right temp, always the right amount, you can't forget your boobs at home, night feedings are simple, I mean, I could go on and on. If you are truly interested, I'd suggest finding your local La Leche League, and attend their meetings. They are free, and VERY helpful in my experience. Kellymom.com is a good resource, as is the Breastfeeding Moms group here on CafeMom. I believe there are at least a few moms in there who have relactated, and can offer advice, and support, which is something you will need. It might be easy, it might not be easy, But it IS worth it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If you can get your baby to latch on, and suckle, that's a great step towards telling your body to start, or resume production. You might find an SNS helpful (supplemental nursing system) which is a tube that you attach to your nipple so that while you are in the process of getting your supply up, your baby can receive formula at your breast. A good breast pump will also help stimulate production. Mothers Milk Tea, More Milk Plus, Fenugreek, Oatmeal, are all said to help. Reglan can help also, but you need an Rx, and some moms have reported side effects. Please, feel free to ask anything, and I'll help you as best I can.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009