How do you handle putting toddlers down for bed now that it is summer time and still light outside?

I'd like to have my kids asleep by 8pm the latest, but it seems tough because it is still light outside and I can't afford to buy all room darkening shades!!

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 9:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• When my kids were younger i just used heavier curtains/draperies. I don't know if that would be more affordable or not. Perhaps you'll be luck enough to find some heavier curtains/draperies at a garage sale or second hand store. Good Luck!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• How about an old sheet or something? My kids never fought me on going to bed. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

Mimomof3boys

• I usually have both my boys asleep between 7:30-8pm. I just make sure we have a really busy day (play outside, games inside, shorter naps, etc.) and that way, they're so tired the light doesn't bother them.
    MAMAtoTW0

Answer by MAMAtoTW0 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have heavy curtains in her room to block out all daylight. This helps at naptime too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I put up just one of our old sheets over his window until I can afford something that blacks light out more.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• when we lived in alaska, a local woman told me to cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the window glass and cover it with foil, it just fits into place and blocks out all light, and can be removed when you want light in during the day.
    coffeeaholic

Answer by coffeeaholic at 9:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2008