How can you pay off your credit cards if you cant even pay the minimum payment

If i cant even pay the minimum payment haw can i ever pay them off ,anyone ever used a place to halp pay off credit cards.What ones are the best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• A few years back I went through a place called CCC. It's consumer credit counseling. You can google it and get their website. They completely saved my a$$ at the time! It was like a $50 start up fee, and that's it. They do not give you a loan, so you don't need to "qualify". You go in, give them your statements, pick a time frame...let's say 2 years for example, and then you pay them one time monthly (you choose the date) and they take it from your checking account. the consolidate the debt too, so it;s only one payment a month. For example, I had $7,000 in credit card debt and paid off in only two years what would have taken me 13 to pay off only doing the minimums with interest I was paying it at. I only had to pay $208 a month. They call your credit card companies and make deals with them on your interest rate. They lowered some of mine from like 17% to 7%. The catch is, you CANNOT use the cards whole paying them off. con
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• con't...

My husband used them too, and now we're 24 and 30, and have zero debt between us. I recommend trying it. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I Used one which I was very pleased with only note that it will have a negative effect on your credit history and you not be able to obtain any new credit under until everything is paid off. However, my theory is better to have that type of negative on your credit report than a bankruptcy. The organization we did business with cut our three bills in half and required a $10.00 fee incorporated into each payment. It was a true blessing for us. I just wish I could remember the name of the company. OK after going through past records I found it Harbour is the name. Here is the link for their site, note that the $10.00 charge might have changed. Hope this helps.

http://www.40debts.org/counseling/default.asp

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 9:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I am having a problem too. I've been on unemployment for almost a year, and I'm about to give up on paying my minimums.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Sometimes a lawyer can get a lot of these debts erased for you. He will have to look at your contract with the company.

They are able to write letters on your behalf and they know just what to say.

If you want to go that route consider a Pre-Paid Legal Services Associate to enroll you in an affordable plan( as low as $17 a month).

It will save you stress and money.  You can also view plans by clicking here.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Stefani1184, $208 a month for two years doesn't add up to $7000 even without interest, were they able to deal with your creditors and bring down the total that you owed??
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• The Dept of Justice has put together a database of credit counseling/debt consolidation orgs with the DOJ stamp of approval-
    http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

I got a lot of over the limit fees taken off, for starters. There were many. I missed one payment and up it went, like crazy. And actually, after adding up, it was actually closer to 2 and 1/2 years and it was only about $6600 originally. Also, I sometimes made a few payments of more than the 208.00. Regardless, it was definitely worth it,and they were a big help!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2009