What would you do if you were in this situation?

My sister is staying here with me for a while and she has been using my other car seems how I am home watching kids all day long. I told her I would sell it to her but that she didn't have the money and seems how she is with us I didn't push it. Now she is talking about going back to Kansas and she wants to know if she can take the car and make payment to me and that would leave me with haveing to get another car for myself. She has a car in Kansas that her husband uses for himself to get to work. She is my sister and I love her and she needs the help but should I trust that she will pay me when I know that she isn't really going to be able to afford it? Or do I tell her no and feel bad. The car is still going to be in my name until she gets to Kansas and insured by me. What should I do? I really don't want it to leave state until it is paid and out of my name but it is my sister.

griffinbb4

Asked by griffinbb4 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• if you want to keep your relationship good between you you don't do it. honestly at first she will be upset but in the long run it will be better. you never leave a car in your name and have it insured under y our name. in some states that is ilegal and your insurance company won't cover the car. i don't know about kansas. just that you could be doing more harm then good. if she has a car there then she won't need yours. also if your feeling like this is a bad idea in the first place it's a signal telling you to not do it. you have to trust your instincts. i think she would understand.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• don't do business with family. tell her you need the car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I honestly would tell her no. It would be completely understandable, sister or not.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'd have to agree with the first 2 ladies.
    Don't do business with family, and I would honestly say "no."
    But, in the end, it's really up to you. Only you know if your sister is dependable, and for you to be asking if you should just trust her and let her make payments.. it doesn't really sound like you do. IMO.
    The car and insurance will be under your name, so if something happens, it'll be YOUR responsibility.. in an entirely different state.

I would tell her that you'll honestly be needing that car, it seems like and that you're really sorry, but you can help her come up with an alternate situation, if there is one available for her.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If you can't afford to give it to her, don't trust her to pay you. My own mother has this policy when it comes to loans with family -- only loan something to a family member if you can afford to lose it. If you can't afford for your sister to take your car --just be honest with her and say, "no", if she doesn't like it -- that's her problem.
    joyfulmom30

Answer by joyfulmom30 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If you really want to help her but don't want to get screwed then you need to write up a contract that if she doesn't pay the agreed amount in a certain amount of time then you can repossess the car. If the car is in worse condition she will need to pay you for repairs or buy a new car. That way if she does try to screw you over then you will have a leg to stand on in court. Doing business with family can have bad results, just like doing business with friends or moving in with a friend.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009