When is this terrifying fear that my baby is going to roll onto her belly and suffocate go away??

She'll be 4 months old in 2 days and she's still sleeping next to our bed in her pack n play because I'm too scared to not be able to check on her constantly. How am I ever gonna quit being so scared??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel you... I had my daughter next to my bed until she was 6 months old. Then my hubby decided she's old enough to sleep in her own room... I had a few tough nights where I woke up like 5 times and went to her room - just to make sure she was ok. It's ok if she is still next to you. Just take your time momma....
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Your a mother now, you will never not be scared now. Lol -it will lessen though. Mine are 4 and 3 now and I still find myself turning up the baby monitors to hear them breathing. She will be ok and you will eventually become more comfortable with her sleeping alone. Although I did co-sleep with mine until the first was two and the second was almost three. All I can say is it does not go away, but it gets easier.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would still be the same way if I didn't have so much help at the beginning. My son is 3 months old now and sleeps through the night, but I still get up 3 or 4 times to check on him. He's been trying to roll over for a few days now but has not yet succeeded, but I know when he does, I'll be up through the night to make sure he hasn't rolled onto his tummy.

It does take time. But know you're not alone nor are you crazy!
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• That fear is all part of being a mommy. If you didn't have it, thats when you should worry. If your little one has control enough to get rolled over onto her tummy, then they also have much less of a chance of suffocating because they have more control over their movements. They can control their head movements and such. That isn't to say you still shouldn't turn them back over when you catch them. ;) I too kept mine in a bassinet and then a pack n play(when they got bigger) while sleeping at night, (napped in their own room during day) until they were almost a year. Just think of it this way, they are only babies once, cherish this closeness you have with them and don't worry about it sounding crazy, cause it's not! And when you check on her, let yourself enjoy the moment, realize you won't have this forever.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I know it is scary. I still go in and check on my kids before I go to bed and when I wake up in the night to take are of baby. My oldest is 6. You never get rid of the fear but you can think to yourself if it will calm your nerves that if your baby is about to roll over then she should be able to move her head if she needs to. Baby have natural reactions and know they need to breath. Just make sure things are away from her head (like stuff animals and blankets, etc.) so that there is nothing to stop her from moving her head and she should be fine. Take it easy and don't let bad thoughts overwhelm your head.
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009