I'm new to this military thing really could use some advise from more experienced military families...

My husband recently got deployed to Iraq. We recently got married and he found out he was being deployed, first time!!! I'm totally new to this whole military thing, I'm only 19 and really lost!! I could really use some help lol...my question is how would I find out where my husband is stationed? Best way to get a hold of him?? He left no paper work with me, he just left!!! Any ideas? Thanks!!!

- Sandy

Sandy386

Asked by Sandy386 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• He can tell you where in Iraq he is stationed. To get a hold of him... probably via email or if he calls you... or through his Unit.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Yep, what crazypink said.
    He'll either call you with the news, or.. if there's a group on post - which there usually always is, with the spouses supporting each other while they're spouses left for Iraq - all units deployed being involved, you can always lean on them for great support. You'll find out through his unit, his email... etc.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I can try to help you but I will need some background info first. Are you wanting to know what unit he is stationed with or where he is stationed at in Iraq or Afghanistan? Did he go straight from AIT to his duty station and then get deployed? How long has he been gone?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree that the best way is Via e-mail or if he calls you. I was a miltary daughter and have been all my life and My Boyfriend just got out of the military and I was with him during 2 dployments..the first few months were the hardest for me the middle months were fine...the last 2 or 3 weeks were so long it seemed. But You will be fine and so will he good luck to you all..just make sure youre there when he gets back...my boyfriends greatest fear was that he would come back and I wouldnt be waiting at the peer to meet him!
    moodymommy193

Answer by moodymommy193 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Every time I have ever been deployed or my husband deployed, the unit should have and Ombudsman who is a person that is a liason between the unit and you. They should call or email you and let you know they have arrived safely. It concerns me that you have no paperwork. You should have a copy of his orders or a poa in case something happens. I would start with his unit as just about every unity always leaves a full time person behind. Being deployed, depending on what he is can be classified and can not tell you much. That is a real hard thing to deal with but it part of being married to the military. Hang in there and hopefully you will hear something soon.
    ayers65

Answer by ayers65 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Um you need to contact military one source and find out what you can do about educating yourself on this new lil world your husband has involved you in :) There is for example a site called My Army Life Too that has course to teach you how the military works and what are social/etiquette protocols for things. AFTB course teach you what the chain of command is and how to deal with things like deployments, money issues, and formal gatherings in the military. GL!

www.militaryonesource.com

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Consider this book: "Married to the Military: A Survival Guide for Military Wives, Girlfriends and Women in Uniform" by Meredith Levya. Retails for $14.00 or find it at the library.
    rodscanadian

Answer by rodscanadian at 11:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009