My 2-year-old is faking stomach aches, what should I do?

My 2-year-old daughter has started telling me her tummy hurts or her tummy is full whenever she doesn't want to do something she doesn't want to do, like pick up her toys. She especially does this at night when it is her father's turn to finish the bed time routine. The first few times I believed her, but now I really think she's using it just as an excuse. She has a huge appetite and poops regularly. I'm a working mom but I try to spend as much time as possible with my 4-year-old and 2-year-old as possible. I can't tell if she's telling the truth or not wit the stomach thing. When I don't fall for it, she'll cry and throw a tantrum. When I show concern for it, she'll just smile and run away to play or ask for a cookie. I don't just want to wholly chalk this up to her wanting attention if there is a chance she may be sick. She's too young to understand the Boy Who Cried Wolf Story. What should I do?

Kiki072895

Asked by Kiki072895 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Umm.... to the anon. My dd does this ALL THE TIME. Has for at least two years. They learn pretty quick when they are sick that they don't have to do as much and you don't ask them to do things that they don't like to do. Pretty easy to put that puzzle together.
    My dd gets a "yep" now go clean your room. The fact that she throws a fit when you ignore it means it is bs.
    You can tell when your kid really has a stomach ache or is actually sick. I can see it in my kids' eyes. They get horrible dark circles even before they start showing symptoms.
    Do yourself a favor and ignore it before it gets out of hand. If she can manipulate at two, she will manipulate forever. This coming from the queen of manipulation and the mother of the one who will not succeed in following in her footsteps. Good luck!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 9:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Seriously, I don't know how a 2 year old can fake much of anything. Has someone showed her how to do this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I know just too good how 2 year olds can fake things.... My daughter fell down a few weeks ago outside and had a little scratch on her knee. I washed it off and applied a band-aid. She was running and jumping afterwards and everythings seemed ok. Then she went down for nap and when she woke up she was screaming and crying and didn't walk on the leg... she did that for over one hour. My hubby checked her and she seemed ok but still telling us that she can't walk. We took her to the ER and guess what... after the doctor took a look at her she could walk again.
    Sorry, off topic, but even little ones can fake things...
    BTT - go get her checked out at the pediatrician
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My niece who is 3 does that every night because she doen't want to go to be so I give her 1 Tums and I tell her it is medicine. It is good for her has lots of calcium.
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• If she is doing it during the day I tell her well we are going to have to do surgery and take your belly out. I do that to my niece and she doen't like it so she cleans or does what I want her to.
    Only do the tums at night
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I would say she is faking. Kids do that, and you are right she's not going to understand the whole lying thing, just skip it and go along with her tummy ache. Give her special water or something . tell her it will make her feel better. And if she doesn't like medicine tell her you need to give her medicine to make it go away. I told my son that cheese would make his belly fell better and it worked ( i can't remember how old but he was young).
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I like the calling their bluff idea - give 'em a tiny amount alkaseltzer or something gross (yet harmless) like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• i like the last post,give them something gross and tell them its medicaine.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• HI. I'M THE MOM WHO WROTE THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. HERE'S HOW I THINK SHE FIGURED OUT THAT TUMMY ACHES GET YOU OUT OF DOING STUFF:

1. From me. Sometimes I get really bad menstrual cramps, and have to lay down.
    2. From her older sister, who was sick recently and spent the whole day laying on the couch.
    and
    3. From her older sister, who suffers from motion sickness and barfs in the car on long trips.

Thank you for the help. I'm going to try the "nasty" medicine approach. I've got some bitter tasting tea she won't like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2009