13 yr olds??

how to deal with my bfs 13 yr olds attitude? he walks around and sits around ignoring every word I say and says omg with soo much attitude all the time! how do i deal with this im at my wits end!?!?!?! Also he chores are garbage and vaccuming he picked them and still wont do them, is that to much to ask of a 13 yr old? what does your 13 yr old do for chores?

mememecassie

Asked by mememecassie at 9:56 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• How long has 13 year old known you for? Doen't matter. He needs to show respect. If he isn't going to do what you say. Don't do things for him and start taking some of his stuff away that he uses all the time (the "can't live without" things they think they need but not an absolute need) and when he does what he is suppose to do then you start giving his stuff back one by one. I don't like teens attitudes now a days. My younger brothers do the same to my mom and she is tired of it but won't do anything about it and that is where I step in because my mom raised me right then slacked with them. I don't back down I stay on their cases until they do what they are suppose to do or my mom says that is enough and I back down.
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My 13 year old doesn't do much of anything without a little attitude. It is just the age and I'm hoping he outgrows it soon! On top of that you are his dad's girlfriend which automatically makes you "the enemy". Don't take it personally and don't gripe at him too much, that just makes it worse. Just simple reminders like....."Hey, can you take the trash out during the next TV commercial?" or "Will you have time to vacuum before you go to bed tonight?" I've found that asking in a light tone of voice sometimes makes it much more likely to get done. And don't forget to say thank you........he needs to know you appreciate his help.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• cleans the bathroom, kitchen, trash, pulls weeks anything that needs to be done as I tell my three, you are living under my roof and you will respect it. If not, I take away compters and cell phones and no privelages depending on how bad they are. OMG is a normal phrase but it also irritates me ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My kids have never said OMG. It's just something we have never said.

It sounds like you are living with your bf and his son. If your bf doesn't respect you enough to marry you it has to be hard for his son to respect you. Since he is not your child your bf should be the one to deal with him.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Each time he give an attitude have him do something around the house(something he really hate to do). Make him respect you, before it get worse.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• IGNORE the attitude, STOP doing anything for him. Let him do his own laundry, cook his own meals.

Also, how does your bf treat you? Does he respect you? Does he show the respect to his son? There really isn't much you can do, he isn't your child. Let his father deal with him...that is his job and his job only.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• He's 13. It's not about you, it's about him. Show that you still like and love him during this stage. Even though they are mean, they are very sensitive if you seem unkind. This will pay off. I have a house rule that if you have 4 or more A in your classes, you have no chores. For me, it's worth it. if he says a word you don't approve of, just calmly tell him that this word cannot be said in your presence. period. If he does it again, you will___. Figure out what he values and the punishment is that it will be taken away for 1 day. For my boys, it's to call their coach and tell him that they are not allowed to practice since they broke house rules.
    Endless_love

Answer by Endless_love at 8:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• thank you all here is a little more info When we moved in together we got a house for all, so its our house not his not mine. Ive tried taking things away like the xbox and as he keeps going I warn him ok itll be a wk if you dont stop, he says good take it for 2 so on there for. His dad does respect me and all that I do.I have to deal with him,dad works long hours could be 5am-midnight sometimes longer. As for how long has his son known me hes known me as dads g/f for 9mths. going to sound weird but without me knowing it I used to babysit the son and daughter for my b/fs ex wife, so the 13yr old has known me for about, 8 yrs. as babysitter and while dating I had no problems, weve been in the same house for 4 mths and hes lost all respect. Dad tries to talk to him and punish him nothing helps.I do it all practice,school,shoping for him, ive tried everything, he does the same stuff to his mom n has no respect thats y hes here.
    mememecassie

Answer by mememecassie at 2:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2009