My 9 month old so has a fever but all I have is Childrens Tylenol is it ok?

mommymae06

Asked by mommymae06 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it's not. You shouldn't give Children's Tylenol to a baby so young. You would not be able to give an accurate dose.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:04 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Call a pharmacy, they can tell you the correct dose. I have had to do this before and they gave me the correct measurement.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Call your doctor. Mine gave me very specific dosing instructions when DS was that age. He even had a little sheet he had me come pick up about dosing them that young. When I got it, I had to sign a waver saying I would not does my son without calling him first because he didn't want to be liable for giving me the info. They also weighed him while we were there so we knew we were giving him the right dosage. Good luck.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Really, I think that is the best thing you can give your little one. Always worked for my guys. Just make sure you have the correct dose if it is Childrens Tylenol and not Infants Tylenol. Hope the munchkin feels better soon.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:08 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• yes Tylenol is Tylenol... the difference is the dose you would give... with infant drops it's a much more concentrated dose, so a smaller about. I would call the pharmacy and have them help you calculate the right dose for your child's weight.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It is all the same medicine, but different strengths. Tylenol is acetaminophen and you can overdose! My DD was a pudgy little thing and we switched her from infants to children's (by docs recommendation) before 12 months. The dosage is based on weight not age. Call your doc or the pharmacy. Check out this site too. http://www.babycenter.com/0_acetaminophen-dosage-chart_11886.bc
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 10:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I look at the back of the bottle. If you know how much your baby weighs you can usually guess right. Like my son is 8 month old and if I don't have infant tylenol I use childrens. He weighs 18 lbs at his last appt which was a month ago so I assume he might weigh a little more. The back of my bottle says 24 - 35 lbsd give 1 tsp. he weighs less so I only give him half that dosebecause every ten lbs more they add half well he is only about 6 lbs less then 24 so I give half less then what bottle says. get what I am saying? hope baby feels better
    griffinbb4

Answer by griffinbb4 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• It IS ok to use, but the does depends on weight. My bottle says 24-35 lbs 1 tsp (5mL). If you can't get the dose from the doctor, *I* would probably give half a teaspoon, 2.5 mL. Even the Infant's Tylenol says under 2 consult a doctor. How much does your little one weigh?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 22, 2009