The teacher called today and it has only been 3 weeks of school HELP!!

The teacher called today to tell me my 7 year old girl is having trouble staying on task and is way out in la,la land half the time.The teacher says she plays with things in her desk and does not answer questions appropriately.The stuff she is bringing home is hard for my husband and I to comprehend with the way they word the questions and we feel very frustrated!She is however doing well with reading and it doing well on her tests but at school she is having trouble with listening.Is there any vitamins anyone would recommend for her?We eat well but I am at my wits end.She did this last year also with the teacher and I want to put a stop to it.Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have her tested to see if she needs to be in a higher grade or needs to be challenged more.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Maybe hire a tudor. She needs to also been seen by a family doctor to rule out any other problems. Good luck. Also you need to tell the teacher that you need to be informed sooner than later if she feels there is an issue. The teacher should not have waited so long to let you know.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 10:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• My son is the same way. He is always messing around and not paying attention. It really helped for his teacher to point out his behavior in a nice way. She would say "Everyone look what a good example Jack is being right now" he would automatically straighten up and be a great example.
    Another thing that has worked for my son is when he is messing around and his teacher has a look that tells him to get it together, she points at her eyes and then at his eyes, and then he knows he has to pull it together or be in trouble. And he usually does.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Vitamins will not help.

Try going to school and see how interesting it is. There are very few teachers that are good enough to capture the attention of 7 year olds. The fault may be the teacher's more than your daughter's.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Try going to school and see how interesting it is. There are very few teachers that are good enough to capture the attention of 7 year olds. The fault may be the teacher's more than your daughter's.

***

What a RUDE thing to say! Shame on you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• You are living my life, I am so anxious to hear other replies.
    This isn't easy to deal with. We are not at school with them to see why this happening, why is it they go off in lalaland, why is it their attention can't be kept?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Hey, I'm on the side of the little girl. I see it as an almost impossible job to teach a class of 20+ 7 year olds. We pay teachers way too little. I have 2 master's degrees in education and there is no way I would teach public school. I have taught college courses to teachers on how to teach science.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:48 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• There is not a vitamin that will help her stay on task and concentrate. Ask the school counselor and psychologist to evaluate her for ADHD, that is done through the school for free. Or you can talk to her doctor about it.

To gaillaz: You are RUDE. I know MANY teachers that can hold the interest of a 7 year old, you need to stop assuming and bashing teachers. I am sure there are many on this site that would disagree with you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• this is coming from a teacher... look into an evaluation. test her for gifted, adhd, and more. set up an IEP plan
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

***

What a RUDE thing to say! Shame on you.

actually anon, what gail is saying is very true- it may be that the teachers teaching style is not good for the students learning style
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009