please help what can I do?

My daughter who is 10 months old lately is becoming a really bad sleeper. She won't settle. I have tried everything. The last few nights she has been waking up at midnight, stays up till 5am. she will not settle. she will not sleep. its like she is wanting play time. I have tried to let her cry it out. it doesn't work. the last two nights i have been going back and fourth getting no sleep. what makes it bad is at 6am my son wake up. He has to be at school for 820am so i have to get two kids ready. (my husband is never around he works on the rigs) to go to school. i get home for 9am. by that time. my daughter slept in the car and will not transfer to her bed. she is once again up and ready to play. i have to be back at the school for 11:10am. so then both kids are up all day. what do i do? i need my daughter to sleep. i need to sleep before i go crazy. thanks in advance!

Irishrose2009

Asked by Irishrose2009 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The CIO method probably hasn't worked b/c you went in and got her. If you leave her alone, she WILL eventually go to sleep. She can't stay awake forever. We have used this method w/both of our kids & even though it is the hardest thing EVER to have to endour, it does work wonders. Both my kids are awesome sleepers to this day.

If it were me, I would go check on her when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Make sure she's not sick or hurt in some way, DO NOT pick her up, and then just leave. Let her cry. It will be hard, but, she will get used to it & eventually learn to put herself back to sleep. If you go get her when she's crying, EVERY NIGHT she will cry until you go get her. Read the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weisbluth.

Like a previous poster said, DO NOT keep her up all day! She needs naps. Without them, she will get overly tired which will make it harder for her fall & stay asleep.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• How long do you allow her to cry it out? I hate that method but my doctor thinks it does wonders. Also you might try cereal in her bottle. (ask doctor first) I hope you get some sleep soon. Good luck.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 10:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Keep the baby awake all day so she will sleep at night.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:21 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• When she wakes up at midnight, what do you do?

Since I don't know the answer to this question, I suggest you not turn on any lights. Go ahead and change her diaper if it is wet or dirty and rock her gently. Talk as little as possible. If you say anything at all, remind her it is time for sleeping. You may want to repeat part of your bedtime routine. Such as rocking or singing. It is very important you are as boring as humanly possible. If she plays, REFUSE to interact with her. Hold her, rock her, what ever work during normal sleeping times. But do not play or talk.

Do you use anything when you put her down the first time to help her get to sleep? Music, ceiling fan, white noise? If so, she may be using this as a crutch - when she wakes up and it isn't there she gets upset. either ween her from it or make sure it is on all night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Keeping her awake all day will make it WORSE!!!!! She shouldn't need food at night at this age. cereal in the bottle is never a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree with cereal in the bottle. Worked wonders for me on both kids.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I'm sorry, I don't really have any advice, but know that it won't last forever! If she's riding in an infant carrier, maybe you can not take her out of the seat, and bring her in the house still in the seat, and possible she will stay asleep? Also, I know it's hard to do, but try to go to bed at the same time as the kids, at least some nights. That can help you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree with the cry it out method. It IS hard, but there's be no reasoning with a baby. I would also make sure she's getting enough to eat during the day. I don't agree with the cereal in the bottle method, but not having enough protein or foods during the day often wakes babies up at night.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• is she teething? my daughter is doing the same thing and its cuz of she has her top teeth coming in
    indecisive_mama

Answer by indecisive_mama at 3:13 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• i wouldnt suggest letting her cry. First make sure she isnt sick she may have an ear infection. is she teething? If so try baby orajel. Just try to soothe her..rock her, sing to her, walk around the house, play soft baby music. I also found laying skin to skin with my daughter helps. I never let her cry though. Good luck mama!! hope it helps :)
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 5:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2009