How much should I make him eat?

My three year old slept through dinner and now does not want to eat what I made. Should I let him do that then not let him have anything else to eat tonight, or is that too harsh and I should give him something else in an hour or so? Not sure what to do.

auroura

Asked by auroura at 10:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my children refuse to eat what i make they know that they aren't going to get anything else to eat later. That is a rule that started when they were VERY young. ...they are almost 4 and almost 5 now.
    I also dont let my kids sleep through dinner. For us, dinner is a family even. I wake them up to eat. Nicely, but i still wake them. ...Unless of course they are sick. Then they can sleep.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• And what would you accomplish by starving him for a night? Just feed him. Give him a pb&j and some fruit. He's only three.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Too harsh for a 3 year old. You should not withold food from a toddler to try to let him know hom much power you have.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:37 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Yes, offer him dinner, but, he should eat what you prepared him for dinner. You should not be a short order cook. Dinner is dinner and if doesn't like it, then he just won't eat. He'll eat if he's hungry enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Not eating ONE night is not going to starve him. sheesh.

Remember that healthy eating habits aren't just about WHAT he eats and how much but is also about WHEN he eats.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Giving a kid a pb&j isn't being a "short order cook". He's too young to go to bed without nourishment. He needs food for proper development. What the heck is wrong with some of you power-tripping chicks??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Give him something, he may not be feeling well and whatever you made may not be easy for him to swallow, digest, etc. I would NEVER not feed my child, EVER. You should give him something that you know he will eat, he is a toddler and needs to eat. This isn't about who is in control, it is about feeding your child. Pick your battles, food isn't one of them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• A child his age is still learning how to eat. It's not a good idea to start withholding food to make a point, or to teach a lesson. Like the pp said, food shouldn't be a battle. Food is a matter of survival. If I went most the afternoon and all night without food, my blood sugar levels would be screwed up. I can't imagine what it would be like for a child of 3 years.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• A nice snack before bed will ensure he sleeps well tonight. As long as it is not a habit to sleep through dinner and not want what is made- its OK to give once in a while. I would do apples and peanut butter because it has most of what he needs after skipping a meal, its easy to make and eat and won't give him a tummy ache before bed.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• think of it this way...who's fault is it he slept through dinner? Certainly not his and it doesn't deserve a punishment. Maybe he was just tired. Hell, I've slept through meals...lol. if it's late, give him a bowl of cereal and tomorrow is another day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2009