catholic private schools teachings

My step family is catholic and stepsister went to a private catholic school. I was raised protestant. She would always tell me that I wasnt Christian because I wasnt catholic.. just wondering if this was her personal opinion or if the schools actually teach this?

ashleyuc07

Asked by ashleyuc07 at 11:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No it's not usually taught at all. I attended 12 years of Catholic schools, my children currently attend Catholic schools. In fact, such an idea goes against what the Catholic Church teaches. Anyone baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (with the proper understanding of the Holy Spirit) is considered a Christian by the Catholic church.  That's why if a baptized Protestant converts to Catholicism they are not rebaptized.  Their baptism is valid and we need only one baptism.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I went to Catholic school from kindergarten until I graduated high school and I was never taught that. We were basically taught that Protestants were following the "wrong" path but that it was their choice to make.
    I'm not Catholic or Christian so it never really mattered to me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• "We were basically taught that Protestants were following the "wrong" path....."

What right or proof does ANY religion have to make that judgement??? Typical Catholic "high & mighty, we are better then you" teachings!!! WOW!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• What right or proof does ANY religion have to make that judgement??? Typical Catholic "high & mighty, we are better then you" teachings!!! WOW!!!

Awfully judgmental comment for one complaining about others judging.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Op, not of course it's not typical. That girl is just expressing her personal opinion. As for some of these other comments...

eye rolling

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• all religion is F*cked up. either you believe in god or you dont.
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 11:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• op here

First off, i didnt make the anon comment about being "high and mighty" haha. Most of my family is catholic, so I dont think that at all! I was just simply wondering if this is actually taught or not. And thank you to those of you who posted real answers :)
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I went to a Catholic school for 9 years and the school never taught that. There are some people, in every religion/faith, that believe their religion/faith is the only one and that others aren't true Christians unless they are of that religion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2009