Is love really enough?

There are a whole lot of things wrong. My husband keeps saying that sometimes love isn't enough. I'm beginning to believe it. We're in marriage counseling and she keeps saying give it achance to really work (we've only been three times), but I don't know how much more I can handle. I have a two year old boy I have to think about and I hate him seeing me like this. I go to bed crying practically every night. About the only time I don't cry myself to sleep is when I'm already too exhausted to do so.

angel551983

Asked by angel551983 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• Sometimes, love is not enough. You can love someone but not be in love with them and that makes a huge difference. You also have to like the person you are with. If you don't like the person,aren't happy in the relationship, then do you think love will be enough? NO. Does this make sense? I really don't know how else to explain it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• Marriage takes work. Hard work. It's give and take. Try and do what the counselor suggests and keep an open mind. After you have exhausted every avenue to try and keep your family together then you can walk away guilt free because you really tried your best. Divorces only make the lawyers rich and both of you poor and the children suffer the most.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:41 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• I agree with her....there are meny kinds of love. It is a matter if both of you can handle staying together forever. It takes two to tango. Marriage takes a lot of compromise and sacrifice. But it goes both ways. Take it one day at a time and have a back up plan. Whatever happens to you...GOOD LUCK!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 11:43 PM on Sep. 22, 2009

• give your counciling a few more months before you give up. We just ended a 4 month stint, I wish we could continue, but dh's work schedual changed, anyways, our fights don't get nearly as escalated as they used to and we don't fight very often anymore. I think that there will be times when things are hard, it's really about the commitment you two have to your family. If your both commited to working it out, then yes, you can get through this. Try to keep it civil infront of your baby, kids can be really hurt by a lot of conflict, but on the other hand, there are newer studies that show kids are more damaged by divorce then parents 'sticking it out"
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• sometimes splitting up is the best thing for ppl. i know it will hurt but you have to think of your son, and if he grows up seeing you guys fight then thats all he'll know and thats what he'll take to his relationships when he grows up because mommy and daddy did it so it must be the way life is. and sometimes it takes love to end a relationship. if you really love each other you'll want each other to be happy no matter what, and if its not with each other you have to let go. but keep trying, sometimes rough patches do happen and its totally worth it in the end. you just have to evaluate your situation, everyones is different, and if you think your love will pull thru then don't let anyone tell you different. a child needs both parents in their lives and if you and your husband can make it thru you'll be stronger and you'll be showin ur son an even bigger lesson in life. nothing comes easy,n the good things r worth fightin 4
    yours.truly

Answer by yours.truly at 12:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Ask your self the question: what is REAL love? Not the feeling, not the bond, not the intimacy, not any of that stuff. Love is choosing to be the person that you yourself would want to be married. Now I am not saying that whatever problems you have is solely your fault, no way. However, the only power you have is to change your behavior first. Really try to see yourself the way your spouse sees you as your are right now, and as he longs for you to be. What is different? Why is it different? Then try to see your spouse as the person he is, not the person that you see in your expectations. He is a man, a human. That's it. As far as your son is concerned, he needs an intact home more then anything. How would it look to him if your marriage dissolved after only a half-hearted try at marriage counseling? Growing up in a divorced home SUCKS, and not only affects him, but your grandchildren too. Marriage is worth the work it takes.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• Here's a link for you:

"Please Consider These Items Before Divorcing"

If you ever want to talk, please don't hesitate to contact me. Your marriage doesn't have to be the way it is now. It can be a wonderful, meaningful, partnering relationship. It is so worth the effort to learn how best to acheive that.:)

(This is all assuming you married a decent guy. Addiction, Adultry, and Abuse don't factor in)

squish

Answer by squish at 3:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• No, love is not always enough. That is why COMMITTMENT is detrimental in a marriage, it carries you throuhg when love is not there.
    Squish is correct.
    If you love your son, you will do whatever it takes to make it work (with the pp listed exceptions). Don't fool yourself into believing that your son not being raised by BOTH parents is best.
    Quit crying & exercise instead. Do you take care of yourself physically? If not , your emotions will be affected. Take care of yourself, take care of your son & your husband. Give it time, sometimes it takes years & you don't want to sit around crying for years. Crying has not changed anything so only allow yourself to do it once a week if necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2009