Potty Training

I have been potty training my 3 (almost 4 year old) son for 9 months now. He has got the peeing in the potty thing down, but he refuses to poop in the potty. It's come down to where he will poop in his pants go to the bathroom, and put the poop in the toilet so it looks like he pooped in the potty. Sometimes he ends up getting it ALL over the toilet and floor. Labor day weekend - I got married - so our lives were complete chaos for like 5 days. During this time - he didn't have a single accident - pee and poop. As soon as the weekend was over, and it settled down - he is back to pooping in his pants again.

I have done everything from rewards to him cleaning up the mess he makes. His room is empty - only has his bed in it. I don't know what to do anymore - I am at my wits end with this! My daycare lady is soon going to stop taking him because he isn't potty trained.

Meggin_Linquist

Asked by Meggin_Linquist at 12:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try ignoring it. Act like you don't even care if he poops his pants. Maybe he's doing it for attention, so maybe not giving it to him will help. And the day he uses the potty give him tons of attention.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• normally they show signs of when they are going for my daughter it was hiding. try rushing him in sometimes its fear of the potty maybe a give him a fav. book to relax
    mememecassie

Answer by mememecassie at 3:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• what age did u started the potty training
    tracesmom2007

Answer by tracesmom2007 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I just got my son potty trained he will be 3 1/2 at the end of oct. he was really good at peeing on the potty...but had accidents in his underwear...i did rush him in when he would show signs and that freaked him out so after awhile, i saw that he had to go i told him to go into the bathroom and i just hurried him along, we did M&Ms 1 for pee and 2 for poop we put them in a jar (he got one and one went in the jar or 2 for him and 2 for the jar) and now that the jar is filled he gets his big boy present! (we are getting him a train table since he loves thomas, something that he really likes he seen a picture so he kinda gets it) they need to see the finish project!
    pebbles425

Answer by pebbles425 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• I started potty training Dec 2008/Jan 2009 - so right before his 3rd birthday. I have done the ignore thing, but that doesn't help. As far as the signs, he will usually go to his room and do it - so I think nothing of it because he's just in his room playing.

I think I will try the m&m thing - 2 jars - one for him and one for a new toy. Thanks all!
    Meggin_Linquist

Answer by Meggin_Linquist at 11:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2009

• My son turned 3 a couple months ago. But he is the opposite, he will poop in the toilet no problem especially with gum drop incentives. The peeing, he pees a lot in his pants but will only pee twice a day (once during pooping) in the toilet. This has been going on for months now.
    lesliemck86

Answer by lesliemck86 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009