he has stage fright???

i've been having a lot of trouble trying to potty train my son. today i took him to the potty and he asked for his baba.. so i left the bathroom and while i was gone he went pee. i think he might have stage fright.. or not like to "go" while someone is watching him. ALSO.. i was giving him suckers after he went potty but he's been going on the potty a lot today.. which means lots of suckers! what else can i give him for a treat after the potty???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• food is a horrible thing to reward a child with. it can lead to obesity problems later on in life. (they learn to reward themselves by eating)
    Try stickers, or cheap dollar store toys instead of suckers.
    And if he doesnt want to be seen while going potty, then just crack the door and teach him that it's okay for him to have his privacy as long as he's in there for the right reason.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:25 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• are you kidding? Thank God for mini m&m's during potty training!!! (and my son is actually slightly underweight at 6 yo)....Praise is great but there is nothing wrong with a reward in moderation (he was allowed to have 2)...give him his "private" time and I am sure things will be fine :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2009

• M & M's are a good reward or if he is not into chocolate maybe smarties. My daughter would never go for the whole sticker thing. Don't worry your son will most likely not grow up to be obsese because you gave him a couple m & m's for going potty. Be thankful for the privacy thing, my daughter still doesn't have that down. good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2009