When did your twins start talking?

My identical twin boys are almost 22 months and aren't really talking. Once in a blue moon they'll say bye bye or mommy or daddy, but that is it. When did your twins talk? Did you ever take them to speech? Were their speech delays related to any other disorder? My oldest son is on the autism spectrum, so I worry about it. Other than those sporadic words, they babble a lot, so they do have their own language. Thanks for your help!

Asked by nancyclarissa70 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't have twins but I have three out of four kids with speech delays. My son was around 2 when we asked the doctor and they said he'll talk when he's ready. Next my daugter I could tell she wasn't saying the norm (15 to 20 words at 18 months) so we got her in early intervention. My third child spoke in full conversations at 18 months and now #4 is 23 months and only says about 5 - 10 words. Three of my children were diagnosed with Fragile X. I have learned if you are worried have them evaluated early.

Answer by 4forme72 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2008